Shed drying

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My yard sucks for drying. Its got very little space. I have a 25x35 shed in the back I keep some lumber, snow blower etc in. There are 6 windows. If I added a couple of those turbine exhausts or a solar fan it should move air. My thought was connect 6" pvc to the exhaust with holes drilled in it, and stack the wood on pallets around the pipe. Theory being it would draw the air through the pile.

Anyone tried something similar? Its dirt floor so a layer of plastic under the pallet might be in order as well.

I'm sure it'd work, but the lack of sunlight would force it to take longer wouldn't it?

If you wanted to convert your shed to a wood shed, why not just take the front wall off? Lot of work, but there is nothing more frustrating to do all that work cutting and splitting just to have your wood stay green

If you're going to knock a wall down, make it a south facing wall. Exposure to the sun will promote fast drying.

I built a 20' x 11' woodshed and sided it with pressure treated 1x6 boards in 12 and 8 ft. lengths. I put a dark coloured metal roof on it. When the siding boards dried they shrunk nicely to allow for air to pass through resulting in good ventilation. In the summer, the metal roof gets so hot, it's like an oven in there. Despite the fact that the wood is fully enclosed, it dries very well and fairly fast.

Also the most wind comes out of the west at least around me, so ideally if your are going to have one wall open would be facing southwest. I also need a wood shed, it seems when I need my wood to get a good final dry the most in the fall we always have lots of rain and little sun light. In summer rain soaked wood doesn't hurt much but in the fall it seems like it never drys back out.

You need good air flow to promote fast drying. You may want to consider stacking in small piles and crisscrossing each layer to allow for maximum air exposure and air circulation.

firewood-stack-175.jpg

I'm sure it'd work, but the lack of sunlight would force it to take longer wouldn't it?

If you wanted to convert your shed to a wood shed, why not just take the front wall off?

That would make it pretty tough to keep the splitter, snow blower and everything else secure doncha think?
It gets warm enough in there with the windows closed as there is a flat ru ber roof.
Ventilation is easy with all those windows, I was just tryin to make sure the air goes through the piles I stead of around.
Maybe some spring time experimentation is in order

That would make it pretty tough to keep the splitter, snow blower and everything else secure doncha think?
It gets warm enough in there with the windows closed as there is a flat ru ber roof.
Ventilation is easy with all those windows, I was just tryin to make sure the air goes through the piles I stead of around.
Maybe some spring time experimentation is in order

Just cut out a few low window type openings all around right near the bottom. Take the cut out chunks, and make them swing up and use an eye hook to hold them in place. Staple some windows screen down there. Now on all the nice days, just open all the top and bottom windows. And add your roof turbines to the construct. There ya go, self drying inside, air in at the bottom and sides, out at the top, heat rises, it will self pump, with no electric fans or anything else needed. That is called a passive thermosiphon. and you can close it up when it is sleeting or raining, etc. Might take a little longer than a totally open shed, but no need to knock out walls or anything either, or make the structure less strong, just cut between the studs for the lower screened in openings, and staple the screen inside on the stud sides so you have enough room to swing the panels back down flush again.

Latest posts

Back