Shelter SF2631 Wood Coal Furnace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And as laynes69 suggest that if your furnace is oversized...
"Sizing" a heating appliance is allowing for the expected "worst case".
I doubt "oversizing" a wood-fired heatin' appliance is truly possible north of the 42nd parallel between Lake Michigan and the Rocky Mountains... no matter what you have there's gonna' be "those days" (or weeks).

I believe most people would call this smouldering a fire.
I believe you're missin' what the OP is sayin'.
He's not talkin' 'bout smolderin' the fire... he's talkin' 'bout burnin' at the same rate, but with less wood in the box. He's talkin' 'bout adjustin' the heat output with loadin' technique, not by chokin' back the fire.

If all else remains the same, a chunk of wood is gonna' take so long to burn... it don't matter if there's 3, 4 or 10 other pieces of wood in the box with it. If the rate of fire remains the same, more wood does not equal longer burns, it equals more heat output over the burn time... less wood does not equal shorter burns, it equals less heat output over the burn time. The OP ain't smolderin' the fire... he's just burnin' a smaller fuel load at the same rate. We're talkin' 'bout a whole-home, forced/warm air furnace... not 'bout a free-standin' stove in the family room.

The draft blower will increase the rate of fire only when, and only if needed... but if you run them properly the draft blower shouldn't run much at all. The draft blower is for recovery, not "normal" heatin'. The idea is to load the furnace properly so it maintains the heat in the home without the draft blower runnin'... the draft blower only runs when the furnace falls behind a little. The draft blower burns fuel at a faster rate... the idea is to load the thing so it ain't necessary for the draft blower to run (but it's still there if needed). It's not that difficult to learn... people did it that way for decades in coal-fired warm air furnaces.

A furnace ain't a stove... if ya' run it like a stove, you're screwin' it up... the truth is, ya' run them more like a coal-fired furnace than like a wood-fired stove.

Just picked up a new Fire Chief 700e to replace the Heatmax dfo 1000..... I'm liking what I'm seeing and I'm pretty sure it will give me the heat I need for this house.....something the heatmax didn't do very well......As the WS says...." it is what it is"

Looking at getting the shelter SF2631. Just don't want to be messing with the new Epa stoves and worrying about perfectly reasoned wood.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My only goal is heat the house an not clean the chimney in the winter ! I had this for over 20 years .And it will happen again. I still have the foxfire an was never a pipe pluger .The shelter did a nice job heating . But what's going on with the creosote ? What I burn every year is at least 5 years aged . I have 1 ideal to make the shelter work right . I might try that before putting in the drolet .

Older thread here, but I am looking to get the shelter sf2631 for this winter. Our house is 2500 square feet not including the basement where the furnace will be. Windows are original triple tracks from 68.
Wood consumption is not an issue, wood supply is not an issue. I would rather burn 8 cords of big chunky stuff than 5 cords of small splits in a modern epa furnace.
OP said up to 12 hours burn from ash. Other people getting this too, I save mostly oak and hickory for myself to burn.
I was thinking if this furnace makes the house too hot, I can divert some of the warm air back into the basement.

I got a shelter 26 26 for sale . The only thing for sure your pipe will plug and you might have a chimney fire . About all the wood I have is over 5 years drying . The drolet is by far a lot less trouble . I don't mind bringing wood in , but getting on a snowy roof after dark is not my thing . I just cleaned the chimney for one year very surprising I seen fuel oil stoves with more carbon . The drolet when you open the door almost never smokes . The shelter is made good but the engineering sucks . The one thing about engineer and build quality . You can make a tent out of cement blocks very nice . But try walking an carry all that load . The company that makes it long term is the one that engineers very well .

Back