Shihl Pwrhd. Compatability w/Oregon Bar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I found a Stihl 361 powerhead available for $406. I already have a 20" Oregon bar for an old Sears Model"?". Its not as stiff as a standard Stihl bar. I fact it flexes. It might have been enough to cut a hole in the Sears aluminum tank, I don't know, and nobody I talked to could assess why. My question is "Are the 2 compatable, and will the bar oil pick up be the same if I'm using a 3/8" Stihl RS, or RM chain?"

Money is tight right now, so I'd like to get by w/what bar I've got if its not going to cause problems. Thanks!

i have found some oregon pts ,sprockets etc to be slightly off size from what is suppose to be . in sprockets,they worked but not smoothly. no good fit. as to bars i use an oregon bar on one of my stihls . it seems to fit alrite but ive never really checked the nose sprocket on stihl chain. mostly use lg and 95vp. chain.hope this helps.
to me i kinda wish stihl would stop making the parts just a little off size. i mean 3/8 is 3/8 . of course it could be that the oregan is the one slightly off. know way of knowing which is rite.. just want smooth fits. what ever u use should move very smoothly as thats the key.
i wonder how many saws around with not original equipmet, really fit rite. if not it just cant be good on the saw.jmo

Offsize Stihl parts

I have used a 3/8x8 Stihl drive sprocket on my old Jred 621 lately, and it fits nicely. I have also tried (but not used) its Oregon counterpart on my MS361, and it also seems to fit nicely....... :)
Then the surprice; working on a friends 024AV I had finished most of the job when I was about to put in a new Oregon .325x7 drive sprocket. TO my surprice it did not fit - Stihl small 7-spline being even smaller than standard small 7-spline! :angry:

Last edited:
Oregon bar on Stihl

Noah, I think that whether you can use it or not depends on at least two factors:
(1)Does it have the right tail pattern/motor mount?
It should be D025 to fit.
(2)Is the bar compatible with the "Oiliomatic" system?
If it has the "lubri-dam" feature, I think it should be OK - anyway only trial and error will let you know (there is a possibility of a oiling issue, as oil output on newer Stihl saws is rather low).
Also check that the bar has the same gauge as the chains you plan to use (but you know that, don't you?) :angel: .

klickitatsacket said:
Saw troll, I think you need the mini like what is used on the 026.
Thank you, the dealer has ordered one that should fit 024 and 026 for me, so hopefully it is that one. :)
I wasn't aware that the "mini" 7-spline existed, but when checking the Stihl catalog I find that they have more part numbers for drive sprockets than Oregon has......

Update!

Update on the Stihl 361. I called to confirm that the dealer still had a 361 in stock before picking it up. The sales lady said that she didn't know anything about selling a powerhead but would get back to me. After a couple of weeks, and several messages to the owner, he called this morning. I reminded him of the price for the pwrhd. $406.26 to be exact. He said he'd call me right back. He asked someone else to call and told me that its against Stihl corporate policy to sell pwrhds w/out the bar and chain due to safety reasons. I told her that I had one available that's compatible, etc. Blah, blah, came down to it, they would no longer sell me the pwrhead, but would sell me a complete unit w/20"bar for $569.00 plus tax. She could not tell me how the mark up went from $406+ to $569. Anyhow, it looks like I might be getting a Husky after all.

Back