Mcculloch 610 bar question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cromwell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is just a quick question, sorry if it's been answered a hundred times already.
I've got this mcculloch 610 and I wanted to put a 24" bar on it with a skip just to have on hand.
I got an Oregon bar and the thing doesnt fit. I thought that they were compatible, but the adjustment pin wont fit unless I ream the hole on the bar.
The question is, what is a readily available 24" bar for this saw model?

Not a mcculoch guy. Baileys has a nice bar selector on their site. As does oregon. If the bar fits and everything lines up. It is not that big of a deal to ream out the hole, within reason. I have done it for a john deere cs71. Lots of guys with mcculoch knowledge here.

This is just a quick question, sorry if it's been answered a hundred times already.
I've got this mcculloch 610 and I wanted to put a 24" bar on it with a skip just to have on hand.
I got an Oregon bar and the thing doesnt fit. I thought that they were compatible, but the adjustment pin wont fit unless I ream the hole on the bar.

Hello, I'm fairly certainly the PM610 uses the same Oregon D176 bar mount as the 10 series and quite a few others. The Oregon bars are an excellent choice, https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/powercut™-guide-bar,-24"/p/240rndd176, but I've also had good luck with the Archer brand, commonly found on ebay, ie. https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-Guide-B...850418?hash=item590826cef2:g:9sEAAOSwceZajuC~ (this is 20" but they probably have a 24"). Good luck, Steve

Just curious. What’s the part number of the bar you have?
240rndd025.
Not a mcculoch guy. Baileys has a nice bar selector on their site. As does oregon. If the bar fits and everything lines up. It is not that big of a deal to ream out the hole, within reason. I have done it for a john deere cs71. Lots of guys with mcculoch knowledge here.
Hey, thanks. I just googled it before and ordered the part that showed up in my results. I ordered the right one and I guess I just have a spare bar that doesnt fit on any of my saws now...
It's actually not a big deal. I paint my saw bars for fun, then repaint them when they wear off every couple weeks. I started doing it to differentiate which saws were mine at work, and it usually gets a positive response. But my boss suggested I paint and sell bars as a side hustle, so maybe I'll do that.

They have plenty of nos bar and chain combos for this on ebay around 60-100 i found a 16 or 18 on my 610 really livens it up tho

240rndd025.

Hey, thanks. I just googled it before and ordered the part that showed up in my results. I ordered the right one and I guess I just have a spare bar that doesnt fit on any of my saws now...
It's actually not a big deal. I paint my saw bars for fun, then repaint them when they wear off every couple weeks. I started doing it to differentiate which saws were mine at work, and it usually gets a positive response. But my boss suggested I paint and sell bars as a side hustle, so maybe I'll do that.
That is a Stihl Bar mount pattern. It will fit but will be wobbly on the studs as the groove is much larger as well as the adjuster hole being smaller. Did the shop sell you the wrong bar or did you grab the wrong one? D176 is the correct pattern for that saw.

Can you return the bar? If so I would recommend that. Otherwise your best bet is to get a Husqvarna pattern bar adapter from @Homelite410 (the Husky pattern is very close to the McC pattern) and either drill out your adjuster holes or use a chain file to make them larger.

The kind of stuff you'd see on the side of a groovy van in the 70s.
Sounds cool, Then on the back of the saw you should paint "If this saw is a rock'n don't come a knock'n. It always puzzles me how creative peoples brains can be. The best mine can do is paint it one solid color, orange or black.

Sounds cool, Then on the back of the saw you should paint "If this saw is a rock'n don't come a knock'n. It always puzzles me how creative peoples brains can be. The best mine can do is paint it one solid color, orange or black.
This is not a good picture, but if you've ever seen FUBAR, this is what Dean describes for the mural he wants to put on his van.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-114832~2.png
    Screenshot_20200503-114832~2.png
    568 KB · Views: 9
Ten years ago I bought a 28" bar for my big Macs -- the 610 and the 5700. It works fine on either one:
View attachment 818316
Not sure who made this bar, but I was amazed at how well this saw pulled it through this big elm. I'm guessing the OEM might have been Carlton.

Boy the grass is sure looking nice in that neighborhood. :)

Back