Shindaiwa 488 bogging down

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnK

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm a bit stuck. The Shin 488 starts fine and ticks over OK, but as soon as I squeeze the trigger it stalls.
I have rebuilt the carby, no crud on the muffler screen, tried adjusting the Hi screw in every position.
But, won't fire up past idle. Does this seem like a bad fuel line? Suggestions welcomed.

I'm a bit stuck. The Shin 488 starts fine and ticks over OK, but as soon as I squeeze the trigger it stalls.
I have rebuilt the carby, no crud on the muffler screen, tried adjusting the Hi screw in every position.
But, won't fire up past idle. Does this seem like a bad fuel line? Suggestions welcomed.

Easiest thing to try is a new spark plug. I run lots of Shindaiwa saws and have rebuilt quite a few carbs. Even now I don’t get it quite right on the first try from time to time. I’d double check the carb.
. Reset your screws to factory spec positions and open up the idle screw a little at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easiest thing to try is a new spark plug. I run lots of Shindaiwa saws and have rebuilt quite a few carbs. Even now I don’t get it quite right on the first try from time to time. I’d double check the carb.
. Reset your screws to factory spec positions and open up the idle screw a little at a time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I am extremely embarrassed to say I'd rebuilt the carby incorrectly, mistakenly putting components in the wrong order. Now that's fixed it's running like a charm. Thanks for sending me helpful hints and suggestions. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back