Shindaiwa 488 comparison?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I recently read they are on par with a 346xp, but I could be remembering wrong.

I've a couple 695's I'm torn between fixing and selling. They seem lightweight for 67cc. Would love to run some of these models in person someday. Seem heavy duty.

I'm hardly an authority on saw comparisons but I had one I rebuilt that I just gave my nephew in MI for a graduation present. Lightweight, pretty snappy throttle response, and keeps rpms in the cut. I would definitely pick up another if the opportunity arises.

The 488 is an extremely well built saw. I have owned two in the past. Rpms should be 13500 max, if I remember correctly. Nice lightweight saw. Maybe more comparable to an 026 or a 490/501 echo. Not going to keep up with a 346 and definitely not something newer like a 550xp or 261 but its probably a 30+ year old design. Later models had a non adjustable hi speed jet carb. The oiler is insane if turned all the way up, probably puts out enough for a 24 inch bar. The mesh air filters seem to pass some fines but it doesnt really seem to bother. Any specific questions let me know.

The 488 is an extremely well built saw. I have owned two in the past. Rpms should be 13500 max, if I remember correctly. Nice lightweight saw. Maybe more comparable to an 026 or a 490/501 echo. Not going to keep up with a 346 and definitely not something newer like a 550xp or 261 but its probably a 30+ year old design. Later models had a non adjustable hi speed jet carb. The oiler is insane if turned all the way up, probably puts out enough for a 24 inch bar. The mesh air filters seem to pass some fines but it doesnt really seem to bother. Any specific questions let me know.
Will do. Obviously I haven't run it yet, but I do like the design of the saw. Shindaiwa looks like they made some really nice saws back then. I'm pretty curious about the little 300s too.that is a really small mag case saw.

They're great saws. I've owned a couple of them. Both were dead nuts reliable. No, they're not as fast, smooth, or nimble as a 346, but they're still a good machine.

They are a solid long lasting saw. If you really must find out for yourself i have a nice solid example for $225 plus the ride

Back