Shindaiwa 500 coil problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodlands

Reaction score
Hi .. am new here .. but looks like you can get helpful answers on this forum. I have a Shindaiwa 500 ... owned and operated since new .. cuts great ... but last few years ... have days where it has no spark. Prewarming it with a hair dryer helps sometimes ... and ... after running ... it will start well. Now it's got worse. (won't start at all ... no spark) Local dealer says not worth fixing... the coil costs him $150 ... seems a shame to garbage a good saw ... any ideas on testing/fixing the coil .. or if it'd be worth putting that kind of $$ into an old saw? He says it was only designed to run 8 to 10 yrs ... but ... it still has great compression ... and has been a great saw to use. My wife just bought me a new Stil ... (farmsaw?) and it's heavier ... and I think I remember my Shindaiwa cut equally as well or better.
Thanks
J.S.

Welcome to AS! I sent you a PM about the coil.

Bottom line is, your dealer is jerking you at $150 for the coil. The 500 is an animal of a saw in a lightweight package. Looks kind of goofy because of the large fuel/oil tanks making the case very wide and odd shaped.

Josh

Latest posts

Back