Shindaiwa Chain Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joed

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I would like to get some feedback from those of you who have used the Shindaiwa chainsaws, particularly the 488 model. I have heard some nice things about them except for the weakness of the bar. Also what would a 488 go for?
Thanks

Hey Howdy Hey,

I only ran the bigger pro models, good saws cut like a bat out of Hades :angry: 890 or something like that. Lightweight, tough ,and flat out fast. :cool: Faboulous saw for commeriacial firewood. Ran a 28" bar. One of the better off the mainstream saws I've run. Almost got laughed out of the woods several times until they saw it go!!

Shindaiwa shindig in Woodville, Wendell

The Shindaiwa 488 is a true pro saw. It is among the best built small saws you can buy. We use them in our tree business every day. The oldest one we have is about 6 years old and we have had absolutely no problems at all with it, or any of the others. We have two Stihl 026 Pros as well, and I really believe that the 488's are equal or better. They are high RPM saws as Walt will surely point out, which makes them more suitable for the experienced user who is willing to keep his chain sharp and minimize kick back causing situations. The have a very good balance and handling, and are easy to maintain with an air filtration system that works similar to a Husky's which means the filter needs cleaning far less often than on a Stihl. A dual ring piston and aluminum crankcase round out the package. Locally they go for $389 with a pro bar and chain. Online you can get one from: http://www.storesonline.com/site/228078/product/488
for $369 but I don't know what bar is on it. The stock bars are not top notch, but that is something you can remedy when you buy it.

I bought my last one new on ebay for $250 shipping included and sent it Walker's to be powertuned for another $125. Now it will out cut a Stihl 036 or Husky 262xp with much less weight.

In my limited experience, parts are pretty reasonable, the only things we have replaced are covers that guys broke due to negligence. An air filter cover was $17.

Hi Che, good to hear from you. I too had to "unlurk" since I was just cruising through catching up on the new posts. Welcome Aboard!
If your dealer is anything like the one local Shindaiwa dealer, you might as well order on-line from Armyguy`s posted link. Commercial Cutters used to carry Shindaiwa but they recently threw in the towel and picked up Echo in the trade. After first spotting this post today, I went to the remaining local dealer and inquired about the 488. They don`t stock any, or any parts for that matter. Didn`t know whether or not it comes with a bar when I said I wouldn`t want the laminated bar, had to look in the catalog to figure this out. I said O.K., how much to upgrade the bar, or how much off if I don`t take the bar. He says, "what do you expect me to do with the bar the saw comes with?" When I asked about the price, the owner of the place looked up the MSRP of $375(funny, Armyguy`s link says $369) and offered to order one for me for $370 + 7% sales tax. I told him no go, I can buy on-line delivered, no tax for $349. Guy just about blew a gasket about how Shindaiwa, ala Stihl, has promised no undercutting or on-line sales to protect their "servicing dealers". Anybody else see the irony here? I don`t mean to bad mouth this guy either, I`ve dealt with him before through his construction equipment rental business and never had a complaint. I told him if he can beat the $349 delivered price by a nice margin I could probably sell a half dozen for him. He`s going to check with his distributor and get back to me. If anything comes of this I`ll let you folks know. Russ:confused:

Russ, did you go to the link or call? I checked the link again and could have swore it said 349.99. I guess I'll pick up the phone and call to check for sure. Thanks for all the good info.:dizzy

Yeah we`re talking the same price I think, Armyguy. $369.99 MSRP, $349.99 delivered right? I went back and looked at my post and it could be taken to say that the price on the link you provided was $369 delivered, my mistake. Russ

I used to be a Shindaiwa dealer, but when I found I could get the
same saw cheaper{my cost} elsewhere, so could my competition
and customers, I decided to drop them. I like quality, but not
that much.
fish

Russ, I called but got no answer. Just got home from work and there's an hour time difference. I'll try tomorrow. I'm leaning towards picking up a 488 and have been looking around for a while. Will post what I find out. Thanks, all.

i have never used a shindaiwa but you guys seem to like em - they seem really expensive!! the 488 has 2.5hp!!?!? for $349 isnt that a rip off? you can get a 346xp for that delivered cant you?? - heck they probably cost more than a stihl!! seriously - what difference justifies those prices?

Howdy,

Please check your specs again on the Hp of the 488. I think you will find 3.5 Hp, out of 2.9 cu.in. In otherwords considerably more power to displacement than normal. This is the norm by the way for Shindaiwa engines, trimmers included. Also this is an excellent example of why it is a mistake to purchase equipment based on comparison of displacement specs.

Regards,
Walt Galer

tundraotto, if you look closely at the site, the head of the columns are offset on that row. The 488 goes with the 47.9 cc specs. It confused me at first too.

ok i see now, however like said before what is/are the advantage(s) over ex. the 346xp for the same price????

Howdy,

I would recommend that you look at an exploded diagram of the units. How many rings? What type of coating is used on the cyliner? How difficult would it be to diassemble, at least as far as re-ring job? What are the costs of parts such as airfilter assembly, topcover, etc.

If you are at a service shop, physically hold the main bearings in your hand that are in the two saws. You might ask the mechanic which is the best bearing. A good mechanic's comments can be worth their weight in gold, and will have the advantage of local experience. A comment that he never gets one back! should not be ignored.

Regards,
Walt Galer

I checked Shindiawa's website to look at their lineup.

The little tophandled 357 looks good to me. I love my 020T, but I hate the single bolt bar mount, and I don't care for the way they put the air filter right where you would naturally slap your hook while climbing. The whole saw seems a little delicate to me, but it seemed the best option at the time.

Anyone have experience with their climbing saws? I might even go for a big Shindiawa instead of that 066 soon. I found two dealers not far away. The one I called quoted $339 for the tophandle model, and they'd have to order it. I guess that means they'll have to order whatever parts I break too. On the other hand, it's $120 less to cry over when it's dropped from a tree.

By the way, does Shindiawa use some kind of wierd mount for their bars? Will Stihl or Husky fit?

I have a Shindiawa straight-shaft trimmer for around the house that I bought at a Gov't auction last year. $5 not running. I fixed
the leaking gas line, and it's run grrrrrrrrrreat ever since. The thing probably rolled around in the back of a Park Board pickup for five years (it shows). Tough unit.

Howdy,

Sounds like you got yourself a deal-deal on that trimmer. The fuel line problem is characteristic. The Japanese seem to refuse to believe our gas is really that Bad!

The top handle saw was designed for bucket pro use. It came out a might heavy, but very durable, possibly as a result. It is a low end torguey saw due to having a reed valve engine, unusual these days.

The mount on the little Shindaiwa saws is the same as the Poulan small saw series, if memory serves me right. In any event, it is a very common mount, and professional solid bars are available as the Windsor MiniPro. Otherwise laminated cheapies.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Thanks, Walt.

It may be an option if my 020 ever gets crunched. I checked their site again, and it looks like they manufacture nothing bigger than @70cc.

I thought Jonsered was going to manufacture a 2033 tophandle saw. What ever happened to that? Anyone know?

The 357 is rated at 1.8 hp, versus 2.2 for 020 and 335 Husky and it is much heavier. A climber friend had one and didnt like it much. I have never run one, but dont like the design or feel.

I've had good service from the 335 after the initial problems were solved. Much cheaper, lighter and more streamlined than the 020 and just as powerful, contrary to what some say. My new one will soon be on its way to Walker's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back