shingles roofing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railomatic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi All

Please could anyone tell me, wheather they have any information on how a traditional roofing shingle should look like, length, width, how much taper it needs to have over any given length, types of timber best suited, anything at all, would be much apreciated.

Many thanks in advance

Raily.

Standard length here is 18", no less than 4" width, no knots, about 1/2" thick, for cedar hand splits (you won't get 'taper' unless they're sawn shingles then its about 1/2" tapering to near '0'). You would not be wanting anything but cedar (or redwood I suppose would work too). Also, many places now-a-days (esp. after the California fires) will not pass anything that isn't treated with fire retardant, what were you intending to do?

:cheers:

Serge

Small edit here (addenum)> Just thought I'd mention that a cedar roof could as easily be called a felt roof as roofing felt is applied with each course of shingles applied.

Last edited:
I have just built a bandsaw mill with the help of a great guy on the forum, one couldn't ask for a more accomodating guy, it has been real easy to make and it has a tapered cutting capacity, which I would love to make some shingles for a project I'm working on right now, a shingle roof would look realy neat I think.

I have heard that a shingle roof is very durable and I like the looks very much, now I have some dimensions of a shingle I can begin to experiment with things a little.

When you say redwood, do you mean western red cedar, would wellontonia or sycoia work for shingles ?

Cheers Sprig.

Cool on the bandsaw! Sequoia would work, so would juniper I'd imagine, any of the high oil/resin varieties, redwood and cedar are slightly different, when I speak of cedar here its red (or yellow, you wouldn't be using that tho). You seek rot resistance, not sure what wellontonia even is either lol. If you're sawing them small tight knots are acceptable btw. If you have any questions on installation feel free to ask too btw.
Good luck on yer project!

Serge

Shingles fitting

Serge

Some fitting instructions for shingles would be great, I would like to fit them as in the days of old or new come to that.
What would you say is a decent price to ask for making them, I could have an order for some in the near future.

Cheers

I put them on a shed once upon a time.

You just add horozontal 1x4's every 8". I'm going from memory, but there's a decent amount of overlap so I think 8" is correct. 12 inches btween the rows seems like too much. Your first set is going to be your 12" stubby ones. Then 18's all the way up, and a couple 1x4's for the cap. Nail down with 1.5"-2" staples. You could hammer roofing nails if you are a masochist.

Serge

Some fitting instructions for shingles would be great, I would like to fit them as in the days of old or new come to that.
What would you say is a decent price to ask for making them, I could have an order for some in the near future.

Cheers
No idea what you'd charge over there, maybe charge cost plus (material and hourly wage), dunno its a tuff call just don't cut your throat. I think shingle and shake prices have gone through the roof here (pun, gah) as decent material is getting scarce (last year there was a Van. company offering 2500-3000 a cord for A1 shake blocks) and I haven't cedar roofed for many years and am way out of the loop. Here is a link for you that will explain in more detail what is involved, should be able to get price ideas there too >
http://www.shakes.ca/products.html
Small word of caution, cedar etc. is very toxic to man and beast, sawing shingles is extremely dusty, labour intensive, dangerous (lots of missing fingers), and boring.
When I have the time I'll PM you some basic instructions and hints on installing them unless you find an article on google (I'll look too) first, if I forget just remind me by message, np. and there is lots of info out there.
Here ya go, the definitive site including their 'how to' handbook' PDF file >
http://www.bcshakeshingle.com/En/handbook.htm

Serge

Last edited:
Thanks for the info sprig... I've been enjoying this. $3K for a cord of good shake material, wow. I'm just picturing one of those huge cedar trees out there and figuring how many cords of wood you get from one. Of course I suppose A1 means the best of the best? Still, lot of cash for a cord of wood that's not even worked yet.

Thanks for the info sprig... I've been enjoying this. $3K for a cord of good shake material, wow. I'm just picturing one of those huge cedar trees out there and figuring how many cords of wood you get from one. Of course I suppose A1 means the best of the best? Still, lot of cash for a cord of wood that's not even worked yet.
Np, enjoyed it meself, such fond memories *cough* :D
Yup, very mysterious how many trees 'vanished'. Brings to mind the old 'hose from da saw to bucket of water' trick. Yup, grade A, no waves, knots, etc, perfect dimensions. And to think, in the 70's best we did was around 350$ a cord :cry:

When I was doing salvage years ago it was really hard to go by a big tree without figuring how many blocks and fence posts you could get out of it, sort of sticks in your brian-pan for a while after too........................well.........there is this tree in da neighbour's yard..............um...........oh nm. :p
Edit#2. 'Brian-pan'??? It was too funny for me to correct......GAH!

Last edited:

They stack them in blocks. So I'm assuming that is 3k per cord of worked shingles.

They stack them in blocks. So I'm assuming that is 3k per cord of worked shingles.
No. They are bought by the cord, a cord of 'blocks'. Raw blocks (chunks, bolts, what-ever ya want to call em), standard cord dimensions of 4x4x8 tight, shingles are not sold in cords but by the bundle, aprox. 3 bundles is a square (100sq ft) if memory serves this evening (sometimes not, I stand to be corrected as usual). No idea anymore of what to expect out of a cord of blocks.

Back