shipping saw after internet sales opinions please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havvey

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hi all what is the best way (i have had problems with postal) what is most economical (i see many sellers charging $35-45) do you use tracking/insurance? fed ex does not serve my area well.:jawdrop:

Get a fedex account and have them pick it up at your place. Even with the extra little charge per week it is still a lot cheaper than UPS.

I've had the worst luck with DHL out of anybody. UPS so-so. I've actually had pretty good experience with the post office but they are the most expensive.

With fedex I rarely pay more than $20 to ship a large saw within the lower 48. My avg across the board is $12. I've shipped about 700 saws through fedex and have only had 5 or 6 damaged.

Buy new boxes. They look nice and hold up much better in shipping. The magic size is 12x12x20 for any chainsaw up to an 18" bar. 12x12x24 fits most any larger saw. Small limbing saws fit nice in a 10x12x16. Antique moster saws are another deal though, those are a pain to ship. I order my boxes from a local paper-goods supplier. 12x12x20 run around $2 each while 10x12x16 are under a dollar.

Insurance is worthless, except through the USPS, nobody else will ever grant you a claim. Thats my personal experience.

I pack my saws with recycled newspaper. I've had a few complaints from people just because it's newspaper and they feel that the saw had inadaquate protection but I've never had a saw damaged because of using newspaper, it works awesome and is free.

Drain the fuel and oil, duh. Sometimes I put saws inside a plastic grocery bag before packaging them to contain the odor some.

Whatever you do, always use tracking (delivery conformation for USPS), FedEx and UPS have tracking as part of their service. If the dollar amount of the item exceeds the standard insured value of the carrier, then insure it too.

Never, never, never, ever send something with no tracking. You're only asking for trouble.

Your best bet is UPS. Tracking is included and the first $100 of insurance is included. It is only $.75/one hundred dollars after that. I just sold (ebay) and shipped a Husky 350 with 4 chains and an 18" bar from NY to Va. and it was $16 with $300 worth of insurance. On larger more expensive items the Post Office is expensive as nothing is included in there shipping fees.

FedEx always has tracking and up to $500 insurance is like $.70.

Only great way.

USPS is second.

Fred

newspaper as packing material.

retoocs555 said:
I pack my saws with recycled newspaper. I've had a few complaints from people just because it's newspaper and they feel that the saw had inadaquate protection but I've never had a saw damaged because of using newspaper, it works awesome and is free.

I have received many chainsaws packed in newpaper and although they were not damaged, the newspaper did little as packing material. Once crushed, crumpled newspaper will not "sping back" and re-fill the void. It was just luck that allowed these items to get to their destination without being damaged.

Adding in cut pieces of cardboard will go a long way as packing.

JMHO.

Sawmill_Bill said:
I have received many chainsaws packed in newpaper and although they were not damaged, the newspaper did little as packing material. Once crushed, crumpled newspaper will not "sping back" and re-fill the void. It was just luck that allowed these items to get to their destination without being damaged.

Adding in cut pieces of cardboard will go a long way as packing.

JMHO.

It's all in the technique. I use a lot of newspaper.

I've gotten several emails that would read just like your post. But with only 1 in 100 saws is send being damaged that has to be more than just luck.

I have shipped a lot of saws big and small. UPS Ground is my favorite. The right sized box, plastic bags, some foam blocking, and lots of tightly crumpled newspaper have served me well. I just recently recieved 3 ORLines just loose in too big a box and they were undamanged from the experience. Go Figure! It's a Crap Shoot!.....

retoocs555 said:

I've gotten several emails that would read just like your post. But with only 1 in 100 saws is send being damaged that has to be more than just luck.

It is the "lot of newspaper" that is the key. Good Job! The ones that I received were missing that point.

Excellent info from a pro!

I've been using USPS, but may need to look at fedx.

retoocs555 said:
Get a fedex account and have them pick it up at your place. Even with the extra little charge per week it is still a lot cheaper than UPS.

I've had the worst luck with DHL out of anybody. UPS so-so. I've actually had pretty good experience with the post office but they are the most expensive.

With fedex I rarely pay more than $20 to ship a large saw within the lower 48. My avg across the board is $12. I've shipped about 700 saws through fedex and have only had 5 or 6 damaged.

Buy new boxes. They look nice and hold up much better in shipping. The magic size is 12x12x20 for any chainsaw up to an 18" bar. 12x12x24 fits most any larger saw. Small limbing saws fit nice in a 10x12x16. Antique moster saws are another deal though, those are a pain to ship. I order my boxes from a local paper-goods supplier. 12x12x20 run around $2 each while 10x12x16 are under a dollar.

Insurance is worthless, except through the USPS, nobody else will ever grant you a claim. Thats my personal experience.

Drain the fuel and oil, duh. Sometimes I put saws inside a plastic grocery bag before packaging them to contain the odor some.

retoocs555 said:

Stuff that box like a thanksgiving turkey and then add more.

Its got to be packed firmly to the point that its hard to get the box closed. I recently sent a rather expensive and delicate instrument from PA to Calf using this method and the buyer was thrilled with the packing.

USPS is generally the best value, mabye not the cheapest, but allways the best value.

Tape up the box, print your own lable from the website and hand it to the mailman.:blob2:

UPS= United package shredders.

RaisedByWolves said:
Stuff that box like a thanksgiving turkey and then add more.

Its got to be packed firmly to the point that its hard to get the box closed. I recently sent a rather expensive and delicate instrument from PA to Calf using this method and the buyer was thrilled with the packing.

USPS is generally the best value, mabye not the cheapest, but allways the best value.

Tape up the box, print your own lable from the website and hand it to the mailman.:blob2:

UPS= United package shredders.[/QUPS= United package shredders.
UOTE] thats been my take on postal this winter we have had major issues:yoyo:

Based upon my experience, always insure if its a good saw. And always have a tracking number no matter how you ship. I lost a good one that was dropped by Parcel Post and he did not insure it when shipped. Metal casings will crack and crumble when dropped on concrete floors and/or poorly packed, etc.

I recently shipped 4 packages to Calgary Alberta. Even though they were not saws they were tractor parts. They left here on a monday afternoon and arrived about noon on friday. The total weight was 225 for the 4. I used UPS. They picked up at the farm and I done all the paper work on line. Total 180. Not bad for the amount and hassle with customs. I cut boxes down to fit the part tight and use strapping tape. I make sure the item does not shift around in the box is the key.
Later
Bob

It arrived with a cracked crankcase, which costs a lot more than insurance. It had obviously not been packed well enough and it had been dropped enroute. Better safe than sorry on shipments of a good saw. I will be safe in the future on packing, insurance and tracking.

Latest posts

Back