Shopping for new helmet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea2summit

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My old Aluminum hard hat got a hole punched in it a few months ago so I’ve been shopping, then the sweat band broke right before Christmas so I guess that’s the final sign it’s time to upgrade. Just a pro-home owner but I like the traditional wide brim style because I wear it all the time I’m working my woods to include everything from tractoring, chipping, saw work or anything else and I’ve found as I get older I like to get hit in the head less and less. Anything out there that’s US made and aluminum? I’m not finding anything and right now the LIFT Safety DAX appears to be my only non-chinesium option.

Thanks.

Old faithfull, RIP
IMG_0497.jpeg
IMG_0498.jpeg

I know a lot of guys love their aluminum helmets, but I suggest getting something like a protos or kask, built in eyepro, earpro, more comfortable and more ventilation, not worth the money if you are wearing it once a month for an hour at a time, but any more than that and $350 on the helmet is a worthwhile upgrade

also the protos is side impact rated, we arent always hit in the head top down

I know a lot of guys love their aluminum helmets, but I suggest getting something like a protos or kask, built in eyepro, earpro, more comfortable and more ventilation, not worth the money if you are wearing it once a month for an hour at a time, but any more than that and $350 on the helmet is a worthwhile upgrade

also the protos is side impact rated, we arent always hit in the head top down
My head is worth quite a bit so that’s not really an issue. I probably wear it 6-8 hrs a month, more if there’s a long weekend in there.

I would like something that doesn’t make me look “special” on a tractor though🤣

My head is worth quite a bit so that’s not really an issue. I probably wear it 6-8 hrs a month, more if there’s a long weekend in there.

I would like something that doesn’t make me look “special” on a tractor though🤣
I get ya there, does look goofy sometimes, but sometimes I forget I even have it on and will be driving home, takes me 20 minute's of noticing the funny looks im getting before I remember to take my protos off!
the pfanner protos earmuffs are really, really good, ive got a petzl vertex vent that I like but you wont catch me wearing it if my protos is nearby

I like to run the Helmet below, which seems to be the same one as yours. Runs $70 something after tax and it's Durable, Light, Bright and keeps the rain from rolling down my neck.

Mad3400

1704836714663.png

Good luck finding anything aluminum made in the U.S.A. now that, "China is our friend."

Bailey's has brimmed brain buckets affordably priced.

I went with Husqvarna 588646001 Technical Forest Helmet*, the screen is great and keeps limb-whip from making me look pretty. It's comfortable and cool. Even with the screen glasses are needed, stuff still flies up underneath and lands in the sightballs.

If I was in the trees more the Protos Tree Trooper** series would be the way to go. You can even color-match them to you saw for high-fashion in the high-foliage.

*though I run STIHL saws I think Husky has a better helmet and at a better price.
**just kidding on the name, but they should have named it that.

Got the Pfanner Protos Helmet since the pandemic and it's been great. It's also got good face and ear protection, and a few bells and whistles for extra protection.

It's also got good face and ear protection, and a few bells and whistles for extra protection
love the adjustability, pretty nice having it clamp under the back of your head so for ground work you dont have to buckle the chin strap to stop it falling off every time you look up the tree
my only complaint is those damn earmuffs falling off every time I take the helmet off, soon as the muffs turn a little on the mount they just sorta ride off into the sunset (my sena wiring catches them atleast)

also with a little head wiggle I can get the chin strap to buckle hands tree (not that it matters but its a cool trick)

Not sure why no one has chimed in with Skull Bucket. Its basically just like the old school Aluminum lids, wide brim, good suspension, and made in the USA. I'll vouch for their comfortability and quality. Haven't been hit yet and hope to not be though so I wont comment on that performance aspect but its ANSI rated.

Full brimmed hard hats are available from any safety supplier.

Nothing special about forestry use, if hearing muffs and face shields not attached.

Aluminum transmits heat and cold faster, and is noisy in rain.

The suspension is actually the most protective part of the helmet (absorbs and distributes the impact force), but is typically overlooked.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back