Short Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
Anyone buy or sell short wood. Seems I have a few customers who like short stuff for small stoves. This is some maple & cherry for those people.

Picture104.jpg

Picture108.jpg

Stihl088stock

Stihl088stock

ArboristSite Guru
Sure... Some people have micro-stoves and 12" is about as long as they can fit.

Also, some old ladies (85+) can't lift large pieces, so they like little stuff and proceed to complain about it burning up too fast:dizzy:

alderman

alderman

Addicted to ArboristSite
My stove will take 18" max. I shoot for 16" but often end up shorter. I'd rather make a few more cuts and splits then end up with a piece too long for the stove.

I've got wood customers that prefer the shorter wood. I've got a return customer coming tomorrow for a cord and he's driving 70 miles to get it. Claims he can't get the short wood in the city.

StihlyinEly

StihlyinEly

Addicted to ArboristSite
When we lived at 10,000 feet in Colorado, one of our three stoves was a little parlor stove that could burn either coal or wood. I ended up cutting a lot of 10-inch wood for that stove. Amazing how much heat can be put out with one of those. :)

Wood Doctor
Short Wood = Cooking Wood

I try to cut all my firewood for the stove the same length--about 18" to 20". That means that some premium hardwood logs will be much shorter. I save all of those short rounds and then split them smaller as well. These I sell as "Cooking Wood" for about $3 per 13-lb bundle. This strategy works very well and people buy them for BBQ smokers because that's less than half the price of charcoal.

Other chunks of shorts of faster burning logs and pieces of crotchwood that cannot be easily stacked go straight to the campfire pit. These I use to roast marshmallows and weenies.

LAH

ArboristSite Guru
. AS Supporting Member.
What o you consider to be short..? From here it looks like standard 16" wood.

I try for 11 inches. I can mark on 11, 22, 33, 44, etc. if I need to. I sold 4 loads last week & two loads the week before to the same guy who has a small stove. This is last years maple & cherry. The maple seasons quickly so it weighs much of nothing. I just feel blessed to sell it.........Creeker

Circle B MN
I try for 11 inches. I can mark on 11, 22, 33, 44, etc. if I need to. I sold 4 loads last week & two loads the week before to the same guy who has a small stove. This is last years maple & cherry. The maple seasons quickly so it weighs much of nothing. I just feel blessed to sell it.........Creeker

Gotcha. I prefer working with smaller wood as well, in my case 16" fine split. I sell it mostly to recreational users. It all seasons fast, and looks nice when done.

:cheers:

DSS

Cowshot
I hate to waste anything, so I take the short rounds and load them north/south in the stove, instead of east/west. Seems like I can get more in as well.

Really, if it fits in the stove, I burn it regardless of size/species. It's only firewood........

:cheers:

banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
i throw short pieces in with regular loads, unless its a huge knot or something that i cut out, as long as its about a foot long, its goin in the pile! ive had people complain about it being too long, never too short though! yes, i meant that too

Latest posts