Should have listened.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud23609

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Got a call from my moms boyfriend last night his oldest son burnt down the shed that his wood furnace is in.

The shed was about ten feet from the house and managed to burn off a bunch of the siding when it went up.

When he put it in last January instead of buying the insulated stove pipe like I had told him to he went cheap and used a chunk of old 6 inch heavy walled drain pipe (then told me that I was wasting my money when I spent the extra bones and put in the good stuff for my furnace) and installed it with virtually no clearance. Never cleaned his flue after last winter and burns almost exclusively fresh cut green wood. Ended up with a chimney fire that started the roof on fire where the pipe passed through. Burnt the shed to the ground along with a pickup truck load of fresh cut oak that he had just stacked inside of it.

No pictures as I haven't been out there to look at it and probably wont. I try to limit my dealings with the guy as he is a general moron and a leech (always broke even though he pulls in 80k a year working for the railroad).

One of these days he might start listening to my suggestions. This is not the first time that I have told him to do something a different way and been proven right. Once again the hillbilly farmer has been proven right.

Cheap lesson learned right there.....good thing the house did not lite up and someone dies.
Code is out there for a reason. This guy appearently thinks the laws of physics do not apply to him.
You tried to tell him ,but like Dad say's sometimes there ain't no fixin stupid.

My friends FIL is a insurance man, and he said they will not insure a out building with a wood stove in it. My friend was going to heat his polebarn with a wood stove, his FIL said if you do burn wood, and the building burns down to get the stove out of the rubble really quick

I dont know if it is just that insurance company policy or not though.

My insurance company said the same...Farmers Group?

but you just made me think of something.I do have a wood stove in my barn,it's not hooked up and never will be,but if for some reason my barn catches fire and they see that?

Looks like I'll have to sell,give it away soon.

Last edited:
his FIL said if you do burn wood, and the building burns down to get the stove out of the rubble really quick

Thinking that fire investigators will be fooled by that is right up there with the stupidity the OP described.

Well, maybe worse. It's on par for pure stupidity, but it's also a criminal act, so I guess that makes it even stupider.

Going to jail for a wood stove. REally bright.

:monkey:

Thinking that fire investigators will be fooled by that is right up there with the stupidity the OP described.

Well, maybe worse. It's on par for pure stupidity, but it's also a criminal act, so I guess that makes it even stupider.

Going to jail for a wood stove. REally bright.

:monkey:

some peoples bulbs are only on 5 watts---

some peoples bulbs are only on 5 watts---

Or have no electricity to them ;) Insurance fraud is stupid plain and simple, in order to pull it off he would have to be smarter than trained arson investigators (which will investigate the fire if there is an insurance claim), these inspectors investigate fires for a living... just stupid.

Tes

Or have no electricity to them ;) Insurance fraud is stupid plain and simple, in order to pull it off he would have to be smarter than trained arson investigators (which will investigate the fire if there is an insurance claim), these inspectors investigate fires for a living... just stupid.

Tes

My cousin was a fraud investigator. Nothing got passed that guy. He had polio as a kid so he needed help getting around. I took him to a house that burned to the ground right after being built. He walked over to the foundation and looked in and said "insurance fraud." I asked how he knew and he said #1 there was too much insurance taken out for that size house. #2, the people were supposedly living in the house yet there were no pots and pans, no mattress springs, and all the appliances were 15-20 years old. Nobody builds a new house and puts 15-20 year old appliances in it.

Take video recordings of all the insides and outsides of all your property. A stove in a barn that is in storage and not hooked up will be easy to prove was not in use if you have a video of it not connected. It then puts it on the insurance folks to prove it was hooked up at the time of the fire, which they will not be able to do.

Also, whenever I buy anything any more I add it to a spreadsheet on my computer including a listing of serial numbers. I keep two copies of that file in different places (work and home). I also take every receipt and toss it into a army shell box. If I have a fire I can take that box and say I lost all the items in that box. People think about the cost of their saws, but think about how much we have tied up in chains and extra bars? That alone can be several hundred dollars.

This just gets better. Just found out that regardless of weather or not his insurance would have covered it, he wont be getting any payment from the insurance company because he let his policy lapse.

This guy makes double the average income in the area plus his wife works and still cannot afford to pay his homeowners insurance.

I pull in about 60k at work and another 20k between farming and firewood he makes 80k plus add in the 20k or so that his wife makes. They are borrowing my moms spare car right now because his wife's old jalopy bit the dust and they cant afford to buy another one.

My mortgage is twice what theirs is plus my truck payment (other two trucks are paid for as well as my car) have two sleds, two wheelers, a bunch of farming equipment and still put some cash in the bank every week. They just had to borrow money from my moms boyfriend to get their lp tank filled because they had run out of gas the week before their shed burnt down and they don't have any money.

WTF is wrong with these people!

I just cannot fathom what they are doing with their money. Around here two income family's raise kids and live pretty darn well on 60k. They are pulling in north of 100k with no kids and still cant afford to fill up a lp tank?

WTF is wrong with these people!

I just cannot fathom what they are doing with their money. Around here two income family's raise kids and live pretty darn well on 60k. They are pulling in north of 100k with no kids and still cant afford to fill up a lp tank?

Drugs are expensive.

I try to limit my dealings with the guy as he is a general moron and a leech (always broke even though he pulls in 80k a year working for the railroad).

Morons working for a railroad? Say it ain't so!

pictures

I will say this though, I have a friend who did the normally goofy screw ups of a lot of 20-somethings and lost jobs several times over it.

After he got married, can't remember if it was before or after their first kid, he managed to get a union job with the local railroad...and you could see a big change in his attitude. He buckled down and concentrated since no way, no how did he want to lose this gig once he saw how good of a job it was.

Gambling too. I worked with a guy that was pulling 90k a year in, union job, he had his 30 years in and had zero to show for it. Lived paycheck to paycheck. I used to repair his PC, then his wife had a bright idea to get one from Theft a Center, just as I had his PC running beautiful.

I asked him, why Theft a Center? That is a rip I can get you something way cheaper and better his reply, "I can't afford a new PC, unless I can pay it off over 2 years."

I mean WTF?!?!? I later found out, all his money went to gambling and booze!

Tes

Back