Should have stayed in bed today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD48

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Today just wasnt my day.

Had the cable in my Fransgard break while trying to pull three average sized trees...had I been standing 1 foot to the left I could have been the real Headless Horsemen...

Wanted to deliver a quick load of wood (guy wanted a face cord but it had to be 12" and split small)

figured and easy $125...

So I headed to the woodlot with the intentions of getting out of there quickly..

15 minutes into it the cable breaks and scares the bejesus out of me...

Run to work and pick up the hardware I need to make the repair...

get that done and finish dragging the logs to the splitter...

Load the trailer and head out to make the delivery...guy never tells me the bridge is out so now I have to go 20 miles out of my way...

get there and relize I have been here before and this place is a little tricky...so I back the trailer up the hill and start heading back to where he wants it dumped...

Burried the truck and trailer..... it was a tad wet......call for a tow...guy is an hour away...hahahaha...great..

At this point I am ready to not charge the guy as there are some big ruts in the lawn but he says "look you are having a bad day so lets say $100 bucks, I get a deal and it makes me feel good and you dont have to come back to fix the lawn..."

Sounds like a great deal to me...

Leave there and now I have a u-joint making a little noise...

Like I said, some days its better to stay in bed...

Before you ask, I was too pissed off to take pics....

op...

that would be one of my better days... when i walk out the door in the morning... i am fully aware... that im going to get kicked in the back of the ####s.... the only question left is how many times...

Kick me in the jimmy - YouTube

Last edited:
What sized cable and do you know why it snapped? Anytime I am around a long cable with a big load on it I get uneasy. I even opted for the poly cable on my last 'wheeler winch.

Crappy deal. If your winch drum will take 1/2 inch cable, I highly recommend 1/2 inch swaged cable. Mine came with 3/8 inch cable and didnt last very long. The 1/2 inch swaged has a breaking strength around 19.5 tons. No problems since it has been installed.

Sounds like you will have a repeat customer, as your customer sevice went above and beyond. Now the cable breaking, yeah it happens, go to sythetic line much safer when it does break. Put a weight sack on the line about halfway the lenght of cable you have out to keep it from coming back and trying to give you a dirt nap kiss.

Now maybe this is just me, but I do not believe you were at fault for the lawn getting rutted up. You were only delivering the wood, I assume on a path that the owner told you to take. It is actually his responsiblity then to make sure the path he choose for you to drive on is up to the task. They tell you where to drive, your only responsible for trying to carry out their wishes, unless you can easily see that the path they choose is not possible for you to take. At that point you tell them the problem and go from their. Better luck next time

Back