Should I be content with my stock 371xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I bought a Husky 371xp about 7-8 years ago brand new and have used it "lightly" until last year when I decided to switch to wood heating for this season. I cut enough wood for this year and I am looking to spend alot of time in the woods again this winter.
My question is if I should modify my saw in any way? It seems to run good and starts pretty good (although sometimes a little hard after running awhile). If I keep a sharp chain, it cuts through the big rounds rather well.:rock:

"Is the grass greener on the other side?" I'm wondering if I should modify it, change the muffler, upgrade up from the 20" bar? I personally like the "Tim Taylor" type of tools that have alot of power. :chainsawguy:

my favorite saw man! absolute stud.

i mean if you want you can open the muffler up a bit (use the search. lot of great stuff) but stock she still a beast.

how long of a bar you running on it?

20inch on mine. (edit: you have a 20 on yours. lol. get a 24 if you want longer. no more than a 28 if you in hardwood)

one of the best saws of all time, in my opinion.

Last edited:
oldirty is everywhere!, I have a 371, it cut good but blew the gasket and I had someone put an 80cc kit on it. Ported, decked, muff job, all that. And a high top air cleaner. Only run a couple of tanks through it, it cuts evil, and sounds evil. And it has a 28" bar, skip, wrap handles, big dogs.

If I were you I would run it the way it is, the old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

You ALWAYS can use more power! I cant wait for the warranty to be up on my 575 so I can get rid of the carb stops and mod the muffler. I'd like to get it ported too, but I would let a real pro do that.

Check the compression on it first. If it is around 150 psi, open up the muffler a bit (like the OD say) and tune it for the change in backflow (richen up the mixture)

Might want to find out why it starts a little hard when hot though, could be just a crab kit.

And a 24" is what I use on my 371 everyday for removals. Love it!!! Might get a 28" on one of the 371's I build this winter (I got four total)

If the compression is lower than you would like, you can order a big bore kit from baileys for around $100 that comes with piston and cylinder. There is a waiting list as they are in demand.

I definately want to upgrade from a 20" bar to 24" !

I don't know much about the muffler mod. Does it make it alot louder? Does it improve performance? I'm interested in advice. :cheers:

24" Bar upgrade

One of the first things I think I'll do is upgrade the bar from a 20" to a 24". I was checking Baileys out and seen a bunch of different bars. Is there one better than another? I noticed Oregon had a few different bars and some are lighter in weight. Thanks

The 371xp is a great saw. I have ran one for about 10 years now.
Not as many epa restrictions on it compared to the newer saws 575/6 so gains with a muff mod will be less noticeable.
20/24 is a great bar combo for that saw.

The saw shouldn't be starting hard when warm though.

As for the new bar any of the replaceable tip bars that Baileys has will be fine.
I would recommend that you buy a bar that runs the same gauge chain for both bars.

Last edited:
i leave mine stock and run a 24" no problem.

mostly in hardwoods.

the 371 is an excellent saw.the 372 is just and upgraded 371.the oiler,head gasket,and coil were upgraded.the 371 had a thin gasket that was supposedly
known for blowing out.i never had that issue.

Don't listen to any of these guys. The 371 is a dog. They're just scrap metal at best. These guys are just pulling your leg.

How much did you say that you'd take for it? :D

Don't listen to any of these guys. The 371 is a dog. They're just scrap metal at best. These guys are just pulling your leg.

How much did you say that you'd take for it? :D

Man, you had me going there for a second, the hair was just starting to rise on the back of my neck......:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back