Should I fertilize or leave it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
animefangz

animefangz

ArboristSite Operative
The potted orange tree is growing oranges pretty well...but it seems to lose leaves every day. I didn't fertilize it this summer (It's only 2 years old so I didn't expect the oranges) I asked a similar question before and everyone said to wait for summer, but I don't want the oranges to suck the life from the plant as the leaves (the source of it's energy) die.

I looked it up, and it said that you shouldn't fertilize it during winter because the new growth will be more susceptible to damage from the cold weather...However, mine is inside...so~ wouldn't it not matter if it got fertilized during the winter? I mean, if it just means it might be damaged in the cold weather (and it's an inside plant) wouldn't it be fine?

Please answer
Btw, I'm not trying to get people to say yes because I want it...If it would seriously be better for the plant to wait until summer, i'll wait. I just don't want it (or the majority of the plant/oranges) to die because I wanted to wait until summer.

TreeGuyHR

TreeGuyHR

ArboristSite Guru
In my experience, tropical plants like bananas, Ficus, or Hibiscus drop leaves in winter when you take them inside; they just don't like the low light and low humidity. Just keep it limping along until summer, then put it out in the sun (first in part sun) and then fertilize it when it is in full sun. If the plant can't use the fertilizer, it may acidify the soil and kill the roots. Use a slow release or soluble but dilute fertilizer to be safe. More is not better!!

Just my 5 cents.

animefangz

animefangz

ArboristSite Operative
In my experience, tropical plants like bananas, Ficus, or Hibiscus drop leaves in winter when you take them inside; they just don't like the low light and low humidity. Just keep it limping along until summer, then put it out in the sun (first in part sun) and then fertilize it when it is in full sun. If the plant can't use the fertilizer, it may acidify the soil and kill the roots. Use a slow release or soluble but dilute fertilizer to be safe. More is not better!!

Just my 5 cents.

I'll take that five cents :)

Like I said, i'm not wanting to just go out and fertilize it...I just didn't want it to die because I didn't know/ask what I could do for it.
I guess you are right...it wouldn't really be able to use it. Thanks :) >_> I just felt like I was letting it die and wasn't doing anything to help it.

Speaking of protecting it, It has like 5-6 oranges growing on it now (turning orange...one is already fully orange) there are ALOT more growing... They are still at the size of pin heads. Should I take them off for the health of the plant? Or would it be fine to grow them? (Can't remember exact number, but it's more than 10 growing) Or reduce the numbers?

Latest posts