Should I start a business????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would consonstrate on your welding biz. That's what you know best and will most likely have the most success. If your slow find a good tree service and work partime for them stating your aspirations of one day doing your own thing. Probably and get paid crap but hopfully learn some good basic skills(proper pruning, no spikes).

If that's not your thing. Start a bobcat/clean up biz. Target tree and landscape companies that don't have a bobcat to move lots of material around. I use a sub company for this type of work regularly in the summer time. Stick a blower attachment on it and grab some winter work.

I think the bobcat biz is the easiest and most economical start up.

My bad

Jeff I'm sorry you're right I'm wrong you're smart I'm dumb No way can someone start a business and hire help. Hey I have a question, I'm sure you can climb my friend but can you make a better hamburger that Mcdonalds? You can? One more question, can you make a better business than Mcdonalds?

Jeff I'm sorry you're right I'm wrong you're smart I'm dumb No way can someone start a business and hire help. Hey I have a question, I'm sure you can climb my friend but can you make a better hamburger that Mcdonalds? You can? One more question, can you make a better business than Mcdonalds?

I am so sorry I am so abrasive! We can talk. I think your post shows a vision that anyone with a chainsaw and toys is gonna get in this. If that is true, you should be his mentor. As stated previously, he should stick to what he knows, unless he is, what-ever
Jeff:)
:cheers:

Frankly my friend you can get your self into all kinds of trouble in this business even knowing what your doing. I started my tree service after going through the ropes, bucking, felling, heli logging and rigging. That did not prepare me for the business end of things. Dismantling large very dead trees over homes and power lines is highly skilled work and should never be attempted by an inexperienced guy. Hiring a climber is a must if you can't do it yourself. Bucket trucks are fairly limited where they can go and many times are way too short. I find my truck just carries all my gear most of the time. And yes when you can levitate impossible trees from weird places and land them on a stamp you will be payed well-I am paid very well. I command $1000.00 a day if my boots leave the ground. I am 47 years old, very fit, quite experienced and I know that there is still much to learn and one day I will not be able to do this anymore. It is all I know,all I've ever done. Give it a try start small -maybe lot clearing by the way I have set people up in climbing gear and they feel very awkward try it you will see. Then if you get up top a 150' tree to 4 inches and have to behead it many guys spook right out. I had to remove a guy once cuz he froze really!

If you decide to start it up better take the time to do it right. People around here are all getting laid off by aircraft manufacturers and suddenly everyone has an ad for a tree service/handyman. No license or insurance. Then there's lawn crews that do the same thing. No license and no idea how to properly cut rig etc. Lowest bids for a reason. I'm sure everyone else on here deals with the same daily.

I gotta give you a lil more credit than that though. To them truck + ladder + chainsaw = tree service.

Can you start a tree care business? Yes.

Should you start a tree care business? Not yet, if ever. Not that it is impossible, and not to discourage you but....

I'd stick to what you know and contact tree services about what you can do for them and you'll get the work and the wood.

If you're in yellowbook as a weldor, and you are a weldor, then you'll likely be too busy to pose as a tree service. It would become an unwanted distraction. Even being a first class wood grabber might become a pain once you are stocked up.

At the risk of riling up the masses...you may be able to make some money with your equipment. You could farm the gear out to other tree services. Figure out what your overhead is and try to find some small tree services that might need a trailer, skid steer, and groundman. You could even answer want ads for groundmen to see if you like the operation before you offer your equipment and fabrication experience (which is helpful in this biz). They probably won't have an interest in training you as they'd be training the competition....but who knows you could be as charming as FTA...where is FTA? Did he finish that pine yet? Yoda Jeffers, do we have to send you out for a welfare check on our favorite air-spade manufacturer? And Plas, where the hell has Plas been...anyone seen Clearance? I digress...carry on.

At the risk of riling up the masses...you may be able to make some money with your equipment. You could farm the gear out to other tree services. Figure out what your overhead is and try to find some small tree services that might need a trailer, skid steer, and groundman. You could even answer want ads for groundmen to see if you like the operation before you offer your equipment and fabrication experience (which is helpful in this biz). They probably won't have an interest in training you as they'd be training the competition....but who knows you could be as charming as FTA...where is FTA? Did he finish that pine yet? Yoda Jeffers, do we have to send you out for a welfare check on our favorite air-spade manufacturer? And Plas, where the hell has Plas been...anyone seen Clearance? I digress...carry on.

I was thinking along the same lines. Call a bunch of local tree companies and say you will charge them 300-400 bucks a day + miles for you and your bobcat. You will get experience and perhaps a part time ground man job (maybe 15 per hour) when they don't need your machine. I would love to have someone help me out with a bobcat. A machine like that does the job of 10 men. A sub like you would save me a ton on labor.

Then after you have done that for a few years get your contractor's license and start your own show,

YOUR CLIMBER RUNS THE SHOW!!!!! With a good climber he should be safe.If you do some easy stuff like a removal that you feel completely comfortable with then you and your groundie can handle those. In the begining you're better off losing bids because you're too high than cutting your own throat. you can farm out the skills that you don't have all day everyday. you can turn down any job you don't feel is within your TEAM"S skillset, and by all means stay safe my friend but we are talking about weather or not you can start a business not if you can climb a tree. I understand that ideally he would have 10 full time years in tree service but he doesn't that doesn't make it impossible. If he can sell better than others and build a great team he will be successfull, if you can outwork, climb, rig, trim everyone but you can't sell and won't hire a salesman you're in trouble
Thats exactly what happend to me after I lost my salesman. And Jeff, what exactly is it that you have logged so firmly up your ass that makes you act like the king of this site? I bet your one of those pussies hiding behind a bunch of certs and paperwork, that make you think your a climber. I lived in san d for a while. all you guys do is de-from palms all day. I bet you wouldnt last 2 weeks with me if I told you the mini was off limits to you. Id love to see you in action, you probly never put down your coffee mug, and your probly crying right now cuz the leagal reefer thing fell thru for ya. cry me a river you whineing sniveling lil ##### boy.

Swyman, while you may have the equipment covered, that doesn't give you the experience and knowledge necessary to do anything other than cut simple firewood trees down. If you want to knock a few trees down for firewood, then go ahead but don't advertise as a tree service because you're not an arborist and you shouldn't mislead customers into thinking you are.

Just because arboriculture is, for the most part, unregulated in this country, it doesn't mean it isn't a trade that requires some knowledge and training. The trade deserves some respect. Most arborists and not merely firewood cutters and we tend to be offended by the lack of appreciation for our skill and training. We actually care about tree care.

Now, if you feel as passionately about tree care as I do, then take some classes and get some training before going out on your own. If you're just looking for a quick way to make a buck then stick to firewood processing. As was previously mentioned, your lack of experience will lead you to lowballing jobs in order to get work and you will only contribute to the demise of this profession by driving experienced arborists out of business. I'm all for small business and competition but I'm also for consumer protection. Too many consumers hire tree cutters thinking they're getting a trained arborist and then bad things ensue.

Either distinguish yourself as merely a tree cutter or go get the training necessary to advertise yourself as an actual tree service. A tree service IMO does more than just knock trees down for firewood.

AP

Very well said, in fact, I am going to use some of this verbiage, with your permission of course, when presenting my "shape up or get out" speech to the guys always trying to pick my brain about starting.
again...well said

Very well said, in fact, I am going to use some of this verbiage, with your permission of course, when presenting my "shape up or get out" speech to the guys always trying to pick my brain about starting.
again...well said

$10/word as quoted, $8/word if paraphrased, $5 just to think about what I've already thought about...

I accept PayPal. ;)

AP

WHY??? OH WHY????

im a welder, im a millwright, im a plumber, im an electrician, im a carpenter, im in construction, etc...etc...

why do you people even think you can start a tree service??? yes you`ll start it, low ball every job, give the trade a black eye & then you`ll finish off your service in 3-4 months after you have ruined every tree you`ve touched!!

I hate other tradesmen who want to jump into this arena!!! its not for pride, or even want......its to make a buck!!! go start a brothel in vegas & leave this trade alone.........do all you wannabe jackwagons understand!! GO AWAY!!!!!

LXT..................

Lay down and lick'em ahole. I never do anything without fully researching first and I thought this forum would be a great place to start. If all the local people have your attitude, I would low ball so you wouldn't get any work! (if you were in my area) I enjoy cutting wood and working hard and I can't stand people like you. I am just merely posting for advice and you want to criticize me? Just don't get it.:bringit:

Thats exactly what happend to me after I lost my salesman. And Jeff, what exactly is it that you have logged so firmly up your ass that makes you act like the king of this site? I bet your one of those pussies hiding behind a bunch of certs and paperwork, that make you think your a climber. I lived in san d for a while. all you guys do is de-from palms all day. I bet you wouldnt last 2 weeks with me if I told you the mini was off limits to you. Id love to see you in action, you probly never put down your coffee mug, and your probly crying right now cuz the leagal reefer thing fell thru for ya. cry me a river you whineing sniveling lil ##### boy.

Sounds like you are trying to hurt my feelings. :cry:
Jeff

Lay down and lick'em ahole. I never do anything without fully researching first and I thought this forum would be a great place to start. If all the local people have your attitude, I would low ball so you wouldn't get any work! (if you were in my area) I enjoy cutting wood and working hard and I can't stand people like you. I am just merely posting for advice and you want to criticize me? Just don't get it.:bringit:

As harsh as it sounds lxt is right, Its not as simple as doing a little research on a discussion forum. Just because you can notch and drop a few tooth picks doesn't mean your an arborist.

I'm with lxt find a some other trade degrade jacky!!!

Know one knew everything when they start a business if it is something you want to do, do it. When you come to something you can't do find some one that can to help you and move on, it is ridiculous for people to say it can't be done people have been do this for years without "proper" training.

Know one knew everything when they start a business if it is something you want to do, do it. When you come to something you can't do find some one that can to help you.

That is what I and a few sane tree guy's are saying. Not knowing everything is far different than knowing nothing about this biz.
Jeff :)

Okay, enough already. This will finalize this post as I kan't bee leave ey wuz smarrt enuf two eavan poast too thes sight.......:deadhorse:

Latest posts

Back