should shelf prices include tax?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

should sales tax be included in shelf price?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Reaction score
That's always been a peeve of mine--prices on the shelf that do not reflect what you pay. If there is an 8% tax, it should be reflected in the shelf tag, or, at the very least, both prices should be given. What do you think?

As Bushranger said, it's illegal here to advertise or display a retail price without the 10% Federal GST included in the total price.

All wholesale/business use prices are quoted/advertised usually without the tax being displayed as only retail customers end up paying the tax, we claim it back each month or quarter as a business input.

For those who say actual price should not be used, why do you say this? Would you support any random number being displayed that must be multiplied by some arbitrary constant in order to determine what you will pay?

why display the price plus tax,are you unable to do basic math?

Of course I am. Let's say an item cost $1.20. Would you support putting $.10 on the shelf as the price, with the mandate that you multiply the shelf price by 12 in order to figure out what you will pay? If not, why not? Are you unable to do basic math?

Last edited:
The seller is getting exactly what the price tag says, while the governments are getting the rest. Why should taxes be hidden from view. Instead of including taxes in the price, i would be happier to pay less taxes.

Its really not a bad thing but i can see how it can be annoying. It teaches school children arithmetic and it helps part fools from their money. It does not have anything to do with chainsaws though

The seller is getting exactly what the price tag says, while the governments are getting the rest. Why should taxes be hidden from view.
My whole point is that the taxes are hidden from view. That's why it's annoying. Furthermore, the taxes are a cost of doing business, why should they be treated differently than any other expense? They are not the consumer's burden to pay--they are the seller's.

My whole point is that the taxes are hidden from view. That's why it's annoying. Furthermore, the taxes are a cost of doing business, why should they be treated differently than any other expense? They are not the consumer's burden to pay--they are the seller's.

um no
It is the consumer who is taxed at the time of the transaction. it is the sellers burden to collect the tax. Paying the tax only becomes the burden of the seller if he neglects to collect them from the buyer.

I understand you are looking at the protection of the consumer while I sincerely am looking at the protection of the tax payer. I want the taxes to be excluded from the price as it is not the sellers fault that the government demands a ransom every time a dollar is exchanged. You say 8% in your area. that means when the same dollar is exchanged by 20 people the government makes $1.60 on that same lonely dollar. Here it is 13%

If it were up to me the total tax would be printed in red on a receipt that says "This is how much you are contributing to the government's gross mismanagement of the public purse"

If it were up to me the total tax would be printed in red on a receipt that says "This is how much you are contributing to the government's gross mismanagement of the public purse"

Let them do that. But do not put a price on the shelf that is not what the consumer pays. That's false advertising. If you advertise something for sell for x dollars, then x dollars should take it out the door.

how is it false advertising? the seller/dealer puts what he wants on the price tag. you've known since you were able to shop that its the law to pat tax on items bought.those taxes have nothing to do with the dealer.

Of course I am. Let's say an item cost $1.20. Would you support putting $.10 on the shelf as the price, with the mandate that you multiply the shelf price by 12 in order to figure out what you will pay? If not, why not? Are you unable to do basic math?

that whole statement makes no sense .

On another thread I alluded to a conversation I had with a store manager. For those who don't read every day, there is an OPE dealer near me that has opted to add a 20% "shipping" fee to everything. I was there, bought a couple of bars, some small parts for a bill of $157. Plus $31 "shipping" Plus tax on the $157. Plus tax on the shipping.

My $157 worth of supplies cost a shade over $200.

OK, I needed it, and I had the money. NO big deal.

But my conversation opened with a comment about coveting one of those delightful 2171's on the rack...bag and drag price of about $700.

Plus $140

Plus $60 tax.

The guy that has saved up $700 plus $50 for tax won't be going home with one. The guy that feels like he's being jerked around won't be going home with one, either.

how is it false advertising? the seller/dealer puts what he wants on the price tag. you've known since you were able to shop that its the law to pat tax on items bought.those taxes have nothing to do with the dealer.
What is your position on fuel price advertising?

On another thread I alluded to a conversation I had with a store manager. For those who don't read every day, there is an OPE dealer near me that has opted to add a 20% "shipping" fee to everything. I was there, bought a couple of bars, some small parts for a bill of $157. Plus $31 "shipping" Plus tax on the $157. Plus tax on the shipping.

My $157 worth of supplies cost a shade over $200.

OK, I needed it, and I had the money. NO big deal.

But my conversation opened with a comment about coveting one of those delightful 2171's on the rack...bag and drag price of about $700.

Plus $140

Plus $60 tax.

The guy that has saved up $700 plus $50 for tax won't be going home with one. The guy that feels like he's being jerked around won't be going home with one, either.
That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. I refuse to do business with such places.

what mandate? if an item on the shelf cost 1.20 then i would expect to pay an addition 7% tax. why would on put .10 on the shelf,again make s no sense ,english or not.

Back