Shovel for cutting invading tree roots

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chzuck

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a problem with tree roots invading my flower bed against the one side of my house. Is there a particular shovel or spade that would work well for cutting the tree roots at the outer edge of the flower bed where it meets the lawn?

Thank you to all who replied to my inquiry. The amount of roots that I will cut is small compared to the overall size of the tree. The bed is relatively short and a good 30 feet from the tree. It is an old maple tree that has seen better days, but am thankful for each year it provides shade for our southern exposure house.

Another vote for the Radius Root Slayer shovel, or a reciprocating saw with 12" pruning blades.

I have a problem with tree roots invading my flower bed against the one side of my house. Is there a particular shovel or spade that would work well for cutting the tree roots at the outer edge of the flower bed where it meets the lawn?
i would maybe see to a proper tree surgeon if it has anything to do with deep roots and effects other trees it might be worth getting some proper help instead of doing it yourself, depends how big etc but I used Morris Brown for any tree-related concerns!

There are dudes on Youtube using pressure washers to get at roots around stumps. Must be a real mess, but it apparently works.

Latest posts

Back