Show me your fireplace

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
With the purchase of an insert, the wife and I are redoing the surround and hearth.

The previous owner took down the drywall and framing around the block and installed cultured field stone from top to bottom. Cathedral ceiling so its impressive.

I just picked up an old barn beam to turn into a mantle and to run down the sides of the surround.....

We are having a mental block for the hearth and surround. I priced limestone today but its to blah and to porous.

So lets see what ya got.

Heres what it looked like before stripping off the tile and mantle...

4AD18938-54FD-43D3-A9D4-332CCFFFF680_zpsj1ga88qq.jpg

Here is our canvas... The tile on the hearth has been removed.

D56A16EC-305A-4AF8-A08D-FAE34966DA0E_zpszr0s1gev.jpg

I'm hoping you get lits of replies to this. We just moved in to a house with a wood burning fireplace and we can't decide what to do with it.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

Here's what we are starting with. Already out of money for doing with the rest of the renos as I'll want a new insert too.
59ce53ec641b2b3e5aea222257e81bb5.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk

I have 4 Fireplaces. This one is my favorite, I will be cleaning, painting and getting it all spruced up soon.

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 58
Back to your original question. I would start calling all the granite and stone dealers in your area and look for a remnant of Jurassic Black granite for the hearth. We spent this morning at our local quarry / granite dealer and saw this stone in person and it is unbelievable.Jurassic Black.png

This is ours as it was when we bought the house. I did finish the hearth with cultured stone as they had originally had carpet on the sides. o_O If I were to redo it as you are I would seriously consider making the hearth about 18" high so it was high enough to sit on like a couple of others that have been posted. I think that would make it easier to build and maintain a fire as well.

016_16.JPG
IMG_2874.JPG

Back to your original question. I would start calling all the granite and stone dealers in your area and look for a remnant of Jurassic Black granite for the hearth. We spent this morning at our local quarry / granite dealer and saw this stone in person and it is unbelievable.View attachment 457577

That's stunning.

Sent from a field

We got a price on using limestone, but the negatives outweigh the positives.

Im seriously considering doing concrete. Think concrete counter top.

Concrete would be a great option. I have seen a lot of nice stuff done with concrete.

A friend of mine had his hearth made out of concrete. The concrete was dyed and stamped to resemble stone.

Right in front of the fireplace a map was built into the concrete of the lake he lived on. It was oriented as if you were standing in front of the fireplace and looking to the right out of the patio doors.

That sounds cool.

The better half found a travertine tile she really likes. It was special order from Lowes but I think Ive found a suitable alternative at the Depot.

Don't know if this helps but I like the hearth, nice to sit on after being out in the cold.
View attachment 457651

The original surround and hearth are brick. I COULD salvage it by chipping all the thinset off.... But it wouldnt allow us to extend the hearth without more work. If we pick a tile or stone, we can easily extend the hearth.

Raising it isnt an option. The would require having the entire opening raised which would be a serious undertaking.

We also have a wood stove in the other side of the house on a raised hearth that cold chitlins can sit next to.

Here's my open fireplace in my living room...no insert here. He's been sittin on pole position, waiting on ol' man winter to drop the green flag this year. I'm sure it's still 30-45 days away at least, here in mid-Ga. There's been a many a Turkey Day and Christmas Day here in flip flops. Closest I've seen wood burning this year is about half dozen times so far in my firepit on the back patio.

I may put a small insert in my open fireplace, but this thing will run ya outta the living room at times...and I just don't deal with a third of the winters and cold you folks do.

Good looking stuff/nice looking setups posted so far...keep post'em fellas...they look good.

Casey...that's a damn good looking insert you're looking at putting in...I like the 'simple' look of an insert, ain't never cared for the 'over the top' look...I think what you're looking at falls right in between. And I bet it will look fine in the brown color ya'll are wanting. I don't know who makes that thing, I guess I'd have to go back and look at that other thread you had...that's nice.

758be2ecac87dce7fde5ee5891a9a3cf.jpg

e89f9873dfe82d747ecf1d4b8bc68577.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Ours is a Russo with Catalytic Combuster, installed in 1987 or 88. We use about 3 to 5 cord per winter. Have replaced the combuster 2 maybe 3 times. About 400 last time, Joe.

Well, we picked out a 3x6 travertine tile from the Depot. Bought a pre 20th century 8x10 barn beam to use as a mantle and supports.

d300a08f-0526-4510-b73f-d2613c15942a_400.jpg

Its a hair bit darker in real life and there is more "character" to each tile than whats pictured.

Latest posts

Back