Show your setups for dragging your saw and stuff back in the bush in winter!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I have got to work out something better for dragging stuff up into the bush.

I have a sled that I throw stuff on and stuff falls off it all the time. You can see the gas in the back of the picture.

I continually have to stick stuff back on the sled.

attachment.php

Oh yeah and I need to harness JD up to the sled to pull it! Of course once he saw a squirrel the sled would be history!

I need to go up and down some hills and the sled is so slippery that it tries to race me down the hill and lots of times I lower it down the hill.

I think I need to put some sides on the sled.

Sooo...what do you guys do to get your stuff up in the woods in the winter???? Any pictures of your setups? Any great ideas?

And you would never want me on your team on survivor!!!
I started to burn some snow covered wood piles and it took me forever to
get them started and burnt. About 4 times what it would have taken dry! I need to cover my piles with a tarp next time.

There was a ten foot pile beside the fire that is now gone but it took way too long!

attachment.php

Depends on the location,weather,terrain and wood. I take my gear in with what will get the wood out. I use a atv for the hard to get to or small wood or when its to slick to do anything but cut. Truck if I block it were cut or its too much for the bike to skid out. Tractor to skid the big close stuff if its not too rough. Often thought it ends up being of combination of the three.

Some kind of bungy cargo net over the sled would hold everything in place, and be flexible.
Scott

I use job boxes to store my stuff in.

The other day I was driving in NJ and saw a really nice sled up on somebodies lawn. It would have perfect to lug stuff into the woods. I'm sure it was built for that 100 years ago. It had iron tracks mounted on thick wooden runners. I'm sure a horse would have pulled it.

These days they make all kinds of sleds like the one in your picture. Look around they're cheap and I'd say you'll find something better than you have.

Harnesses for dogs are expensive.

McC said:
Some kind of bungy cargo net over the sled would hold everything in place, and be flexible.
Scott

That is an excellent idea and it would not add much weight compared to putting sides on the sled!!!

Keep those great ideas coming.

Hey quad guys. I don't see those wooden boxes I've seen other quad/chainsaw lugging fellows use. Like as in the box to keep the saw in in front of the handlebars.

I have been thinking of getting one of those chainsaw scabbards that are made for the ATV. You put your bar cover into the vice and it holds your saw vertically, just slide it in and out. Koplin has one for like $50.

For those plastic sleds, they make metal fold out tongues to hook them to ATV and snowmobiles. I think they are made by Jiffy, only $20 or so and they have a shock absorber in the connection. We can't use those plastic dog sleds up here though, If it gets down to -20F, the plastic just cracks like a potatoe chip! We use full metal skis on wooden and aluminum dogsleds, cabelas has them for $240 but I would not want to be pulling it by hand! Mostly ice fishing, but if it is an old trail, you don't leave home without your saw....
Ed

Adrpk said:
Hey quad guys. I don't see those wooden boxes I've seen other quad/chainsaw lugging fellows use. Like as in the box to keep the saw in in front of the handlebars.

Nope that's where the gun racks go. I'm gettin ready to mod my trailer to hold the saws on the outboard side on the front of trailer. Along with a rack to hold oil, gas and a maul or two on the tongue. I figure I can leave it loaded 24/7 (parked in the shed) and when the urge for some chopping hits just hook it on and go.

great timing on the thread topic! i hauled my gear into the woods a few days ago via a wooden tobaggon.

to keep stuff from sliding off or falling out, put down a heavy canvas tarp (6' x 8') on the tobaggon, then pile your gear onto it. fold it up and lash it down, crisscross style. you can run with the sled, or ride it down a hill without losing your gear.

similar to this: (not me)

http://picearubens.tripod.com/photogallery/pulk_trail.JPG

I'm lucky enough that all our property is pretty much accessable by wheeled vehicle. Old logging trails are kept open to allow a tractor access. If the area I need to go is to far off the trail to get a tractor in or there are trees that I don't want to cut, the 6x6 can usually fit thru.
I added a resse type hitch to the front of the tractor & built the basket so I can carry my saws etc. If it's in the way, it can be removed in a minute. The tractor is used to skid trees or logs out to the edge of the woods, then process the wood there.
The 6x6 has a front basket that I made, it replaces the useless flat rack that Polaris out on it. If I travel "lite", usually 1 small saw, everything will fit in the front basket. The box will hold about 1/4 face cord of wood. I usually cut smaller stuff (tops) when I have the 6x6, then haul the wood right to the stove.

Ed

Ed*L said:
I'm lucky enough that all our property is pretty much accessable by wheeled vehicle. Old logging trails are kept open to allow a tractor access. If the area I need to go is to far off the trail to get a tractor in or there are trees that I don't want to cut, the 6x6 can usually fit thru.
I added a resse type hitch to the front of the tractor & built the basket so I can carry my saws etc. If it's in the way, it can be removed in a minute. The tractor is used to skid trees or logs out to the edge of the woods, then process the wood there.
The 6x6 has a front basket that I made, it replaces the useless flat rack that Polaris out on it. If I travel "lite", usually 1 small saw, everything will fit in the front basket. The box will hold about 1/4 face cord of wood. I usually cut smaller stuff (tops) when I have the 6x6, then haul the wood right to the stove.

Ed

Oh, look it's the man with everything.:biggrinbounce2:

I thought about one of those bar clamps for the quad, but I think it would be real bad for the saw if you rolled it over. I use bungees because they will let the saw come loose in a roll or at least let it move some and not take a solid hit. I have been planning on making rack that would hold the saw and withstand the weight of the bike should take a unplanned trip down a hill.

Ed*L said:

Ed
thats a nice food plot in that second pic. any deer use it?

Here is the perfect thing and I can even bring wood back!!!

This is exactly what I need! I have never seen one of these but would fit my needs like a glove!

Cool Komatsu Compact Job Site Dump Truck on Rubber Tracks!!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=010&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=200049640061&rd=1&rd=1

EDIT:

and here is Fraud listing where someone is ripping of this listing and trying to scam it!!!! I reported this to ebay and let us see how long it takes them to remove it!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120062726993&rd=1&rd=1

Last edited:
Back