Siberian Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuleyJ

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a janka ranking for the siberian elm? Seems everyone would like to pretend they never existed, wonder why?;)

They are an inferior tree prone to winter dieback and storm damage due to overgrowth, growing out of bounds/symmetry and are just plain ugly. They were an ill conceived replacement for A. elm.

What is a "janka" ranking?

They are not likely to appear on any lists, as they are not considered a marketable wood, and seldom are harvested for lumber.

I imagine that they would be pretty close to other elm wood. In my experience, they are pretty similar in weight & strength to American elm & slippery elm, although not quite as fibrous and strong.

Elm is one of the preferred woods for flooring on semi-trucks. The wood is so fibrous, it tolerates many years of getting nails pounded in to hold freight, with subsequent removal. The fibers of the wood just seem to close back up around the nail holes.

If you ever tried to split much elm for firewood, you know how the fibers hold together.

The only Siberian Elm splitting I do is with a 660 :). Thanks for the info, as I said it was just for curiosity sake, much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back