sick maple trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbara Voss

Reaction score
I have 4 maple trees in my back yard that have gotten sick. Their
leaves are falling off, some branches are dying off,There are spots
on some leaves(brown) by the base of the leaf by the stem. The
folage is so little that no birds nest in the trees now and we have lost alot of the shade we use to have. We have been in a drought situation this summer since the end of June.My story sounds alot like Keylocks tree. I have notice around town some small maple trees that their leaves have all died off and drop off. I have had them check for gypsy moth and that was no we don't have them. I love my trees and do not want to lose them. I am hoping this is just a seasonal problem but if not I need to know what to do. can anyone help!

It sounds like it could quite possibly be a drought problem, and if so, theres not much you can do but maybe mulch around the base of the trees to conserve moisture, and hope next year is a better one. If not drought, more investigation is probably required.

Hi Barbara... Just curious do you know what kind of Maples they are? Do you live in an area with little rain? I live in the South where we have had little rain, but I have been watering the tree a lot...... Are the leaves crumpling on the branches? Are the roots exposed above ground in more areas than perhaps what they used to be?

reply to keylock

I live in northwest Ohio, but you are right about the leaves crumbing and dry and yes the roots are more exposed than in the pasts. I thought that it was because of the dry weather that the roots seem to come out of the ground more. the news says Lake Erie is down quit a few inches in the last 2 years. I know that we're down about 3 inches in rain. I also notice little holes in the ground in the area of the trees about the size of pennys I thought that it was bugs in the ground because it was so dry.

Exactly like mine

I have called an arborist to come look at my tree next week. I will let you know what he says. I was wondering the sahe thing about the roots.... whether they surfaced looking for water, or if the soil had eroded....... It sounds exactly like what is going on with mine. I haven't seen any holes in the ground near mine. The symptoms sound identical. Hopefully, we can save our trees!!!!!!

Kerlylocks

I would greatly appreciate if you would let me know what you find out. I do not think we even have an Arborist in this area. My trees are planted where their 25 or 30 feet apart so they are always in competition for water and having a lack of rain fall can make it worse. I do believe that the roots are exposted more due to erosion of soil from the dry weather and wind. Thanks!

John Paul Sanborn

Thanks I check it out and found one real close. It's funny that you never think of it till you need it. I do not remember seeing any adds anywhere for Arborist, in fact I didn't know what a tree doc was called. Thanks again I'll be calling first thing in the morning.

Latest posts

Back