***Side Arm suggestions***

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlehocky

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Can anyone give me information on who sells a good side arm for a good price? Also, Where is a good place to purchase a good thermo mixing valve?

Har har...I thought you were referring to one of our newer sponsors...Springfield Armory. :cheers:

This was one of the planning mistakes I made with my Hardy H2 in that I didn't go with the circulating domestic hot water option. My hot water only comes when I USE hot water...which fills the tank up with hot water as it passes thru an exchanger in my Hardy. Are you using an OWB? If not what type of heat source are you planning to use?

Got ours from ebay seller "freeheat4u", $125 shipped. Needs soldering together when you get it though. Been using it a month now, seems to work great.

Most OWB dealers sell them. My CB dealer makes and sells his own. Not much to them. Basically a copper pipe within another smaller diameter copper pipe. If your good with sweat fittings you could easily make one.

i built my own.

cut some sections off a 1.5" pipe. split and flattened. drilled holes to fit the 3/4" pipe in the 'squares'

everything was cut according to specific water heater demintions. can't, or, shouldn't, go below the drain or above the relief hole (kept the 3/4" within range) where i Tee'd into...

drilled and brazed some 1" unions to the outer shell.

fitting everything together.

brazed them up.

brazed unions on the 3/4" ends.

presto. no soldering required. wrench off for cleaning, wrench on to put back in service; as water is solders enemy.

i made some 10 footers out of a bunch of 1.5" pieces brazed together to 'preheat' the fresh well water to the DHW, then the standard side arm to keep it circulating....

instant recovery with volume at hand. win twice. 1 pump required, hits the thermosiphon, then the preheat, then HX for house.

forgot to metion, for preheat, OWB direction hits flow from well head on, most exposure to high heat with entire lenght of tube.

Last edited:
I am not quite understanding how all this is done. I am a maintenance super. so I should understand it but I don't. I have a hardy H2 and I am heating house and water heater. My water heater cools off while I am at work and kicks on the propane burner. To get away from this happening I understand ciculating the water back to the OWB but just how can this be done. Could someone give me an easy fix?

UL rating? Doesn't that require electronics to be on board? Don't think I've seen to much stuff without electronics carrying a UL tag....beside just putting that UL tag on something jacks the cost up bigtime...it's just a copper tube inside another copper tube.
I use the short one from ebay with a few smaller tubes inside instead of the single tube...my water is scalding hot.

Maybe I got that confused with the thermostatic mixing valve which is also needed for this project. Can anyone give me a hot link to good side arm supplier / wholesaler?

Back