side cover oiler conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Railomatic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here are the pictures as promised of my side cover conversion oiler, this helps to lube the chain, on other saws I own I drill a small hole through the conversion plate in line with the oil holes, this then gives twice the oiling to keep things wet, especially good for dry timber that has been sitting around for a few years.

It also prevents any build up of sawdust which can be a problem when the side cover is fited, please note that there is no chain catcher when the side cover is removed on some models of chainsaw.

And a picture of my newly imported Chicago tools chainsaw sharpening jig, she works a treat and great value at only $39.00 US.

Nice.

I did this the other day. Really helps with the sawdust buildup.

attachment.php

Here are the pictures as promised of my side cover conversion oiler, this helps to lube the chain, on other saws I own I drill a small hole through the conversion plate in line with the oil holes, this then gives twice the oiling to keep things wet, especially good for dry timber that has been sitting around for a few years.

It also prevents any build up of sawdust which can be a problem when the side cover is fited, please note that there is no chain catcher when the side cover is removed on some models of chainsaw.

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish here other than sawdust buildup being eliminated. Maybe I am just missing something.

Nice.

I did this the other day. Really helps with the sawdust buildup.

attachment.php

now this is one of those ideas that makes me say .....why didn't I think of that? Great idea. I see mods coming to my milling only saws. On extra side covers of course.:hmm3grin2orange:

Both approaches have a lot of appeall to anyone who's had to stop and dig milling dust out of the side cover (or, worse, clutch!).

Rail's version looks like it probably violates the Assault Weapon ban. ;)

Railo, I don't understand how what you did improves oiling? It looks like you just removed most of the drive cover but I can't see how any extra oil gets to the chain. I can see that it helps remove dust. Do you mean the removal of dust reduces the amount of oil being absorbed by the dust?
Thanks

now this is one of those ideas that makes me say .....why didn't I think of that? Great idea. I see mods coming to my milling only saws. On extra side covers of course.:hmm3grin2orange:

Thanks. I have a replacement cover coming in the mail.:D

You ought to see what the chain looks like running around the sprocket at high RPM's. Pretty wicked.:chainsaw:

Truth be told... I've been putting this off for some time b/c I couldn't stand to cut into a good cover when used ones were bringing at least 50 bucks with $25 shipping on ebay. Well, a hole was put there for me against my will when an ignorant excavator operator rolled a 30" sweetgum log over my 084 a few weeks ago. I wish I had taken pictures because it looked really ugly. I was able to pound almost everything back into shape and Dean hooked me up with another cover for $25. It all worked out in the end but when my new (to me) 066 gets here in the next day or two the 084 is staying on the mill and out of the woods.

Having no cover releases all of the dust that with a cover fitted gets drawn back through the system to dry out the oil somewhat, I didn't want to cut a hole into the cover like, Stony has, because the Jonsered was already out of production many years before I made my first mill and getting a replacement was nigh on impossible.

The plate holding the bar is made from 1/2" thick steel plate and shaped to mimic the side covers footprint.

To add an extra oiler, simply drill that plate in line with the bar groove, (some bars need to be drilled as well) and fit a spigot for the oil line to push onto and you have it, place the oil hole at the top of the bar, so the oil goes forward.

As some have said having no side cover and chain catcher is an accident waiting to happen, this is why I fit a sepetarte chain catcher with the threaded hole just in front of the bar mount
where the dogs are fastened to the saw.

As I said in my oriiginal posting, that there is no chain catcher when the side cover is removed on some models of chainsaw.

Back