Side work?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting topic. I see so many good points.

I can't even conceive of being with one crew for five years. You've got something, don't blow it, make it work for all of you.

I have a yearling that I've trained on the ROW for my clearance employer during the week, and I trained him well. He's bright, no question, and just may have the backing to get some equipment and become the competition some days, partners the next perhaps, it matters little to me.

I'm heading out on my own to do residential and commercial, perhaps fulltime by next year.

He was wanting to be a lineman, but has too many saw chips flowing in his blood now I think. (They say it's more addictive than heroin, but better for you...way better.)

Good for him. We all own our own saws now so it matters little what he does with it. My only concern would be that he heads out too soon without doing the comprehensive research.

So then, if they cop a tude when you confront them, let them go see if they can make it with all that goes into it. It might be the best thing to ever happen to them. They just might be your competition for a job or two until they self destruct.

Don't be surprised if at least one returns looking for a job before the season is out.

Just throwing that out there.

Are there others in the company that can step up and take over the positions these guys hold? If so, can them or at least demote them.

And by all means, DON'T LEND YOUR EQUIPMENT TO ANYONE!! If it breaks, you're screwed. If they use it to take jobs from you, you're screwed. If they need a saw or gear for their jobs, have them buy their own and then they can feel the pains of affording that you have.

When I finished school and hired on with the company I use to work for I made it very clear with the owner that I planned on working for myself full time one day and until then I would work on the weekends for myself whenever I could. It worked out just fine. Why? 1. I had my own gear and never let him buy any anything unless it was a bonus type deal. Never asked to use his equipment like chippers or trucks. If I needed a piece of equipment I didn't have and he did I new what is target rate was per hour and subbed it out to him And lastly I would never try an steal work from him by pulling the "ol' yeah I own my own show too I can do it cheaper" Granted I have unknowing bid against him on jobs and have beat him out but thats just life. In fact I get a call from him about a month ago asking if I did a job for so and so in town x and I said "o yeah turned out to be a pain in the azz" He said " Yeah I bid it a couple months back an never got around to it so I stopped by and looked cause i was in the neighbor and saw they had it done and was really impressed on how WHOEVER they had do it did a good job and did pretty much what I would have done" I smiled and thought "Thats one of the best complements I've ever got from him"

Once I saw this guy borrow a 4x4 hub socket which he broke and tried to weld back together, he gave it back like that, was locked in a bathroom and had bottle rockets shot under the door for about ten minutes at him. There was no place to hide in there.[/QUOTE]

Once again I have spit my mouthful of refreshment all over everything!

NO SIDEWORK! SIDEWORK BAD! OFFER THEM COMMISSION FOR BRINGING IN WORK! They have an accident with your equipment and no insurance what do you think will happen to you?

by the response of the owners i'd say this irks you to say the least.

me? i LOVE side work. eat it up in fact. why cant i go make a weeks pay on saturday or a couple days after work? my thing though is that i have spent a few years in a few different places so my gigs are all over the place.

one thing i wont do though is take work from my boss if the neighbor comes over looking for something. i pass along the company number, talk up what we can do and that they will be pleased with the effort. along with telling them that the boss is a good guy to deal with.

anyway back to the topic. i own all my own saws and climbing gear to go along with the rigging needs. i would be an absolute fool if i didnt use that gear to make money. crash and burns are the best gigs ever for a climber.

why wouldnt i use my skill on my own time? ive honed it, ive bled for it, hell ive risked my life for it! ive earned the right to earn some money that isnt from you. no?

That clear line of separation needs to be defined. Some of the bigger outfits will not let you do sidework and work for them. If I work for someone it is as an independant climber with my own liability and worker's comp. Sure you can borrow my gear just give me a couple thousand down for a security deposit... no that doesn't include the chipper and you can't touch Mad Mary either!

me? i LOVE side work. eat it up in fact. why cant i go make a weeks pay on saturday or a couple days after work? my thing though is that i have spent a few years in a few different places so my gigs are all over the place.

one thing i wont do though is take work from my boss if the neighbor comes over looking for something. i pass along the company number, talk up what we can do and that they will be pleased with the effort. along with telling them that the boss is a good guy to deal with.

anyway back to the topic. i own all my own saws and climbing gear to go along with the rigging needs. i would be an absolute fool if i didnt use that gear to make money. crash and burns are the best gigs ever for a climber.

why wouldnt i use my skill on my own time? ive honed it, ive bled for it, hell ive risked my life for it! ive earned the right to earn some money that isnt from you. no?

:agree2: Don't lend out the gear but you really can't stop a guy trying to get alittle side cake. And if you try you will look like a dink. I work for a guy that gives me small jobs cuz he's got big equipment. Just think if you were in the employee's position wanting to eat steak and not :spam:

If it's cutting into my business and it bothers me then I let them go. As a business owner I've earned the right to keep in my employ who I want.

10 4 on that good buddy.

even if i am not pissing on your lawns? you'd let me go for trying to make some more loot? what if i need tires for my truck but your wage wont cover that expense because food and fuel and rent cost too much?

Oldirty I can respect that. Assuming that your a climber that was hired as a climber and that you have all your own equipment I could see that and don't think that would bother me. These guys got hired because they were hard working groundies 5 years ago. They wanted to climb and now they climb full time and all I do is mostly bucket work. Bottom line is that me seeing them doing a job like 3 miles from the yard felt like a slap in the face.

Ohhh tires I bought one of them a set of tires and he pays me back $10.00 every two weeks...I made that deal and thats part of what I was saying I feel that I have been good to these guys

fair nuff sir. i was not aware that you had brought them along like that. and yes 3 miles from the shop is a bitter pill.

i can only hope that they have earned you some good money, for their sake.

definitely have that chat.

You got 'er oldirty, same thing goes for me. Worked my azz off for everyone I worked for, some gratefull, some not. I have been hurt, kept going, gone the extra mile. Crash and burn, B.F. mess, I love it.:cheers:

That being said there malouf, I understand how you feel. You sound like a pretty good boss. 5 years is a long time. They should slip you a few bucks, really now, they should. I would have a talk with them and explain how you feel, not mad or nothing, just say how you feel. See what they have to say.

i gots nothing but love for you treeco. didnt think i was throwing any disrespect your way. none meant if you thought i was.

stay safe.

No hugs for me!

attachment.php

Man why do you have pic's like that in your possesion?

Back