Silky 'Super Accel' saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeclimber165

Member A.K.A Skwerl
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience using this folding saw? I need to get a handsaw for climbing, but I've never liked the fixed blades with scabbards. I prefer clipping a folding saw on my belt.
This one is on page 38 in The Book.(15942) Replacement blades available for $16. Any comments or experience with this saw or other folding saws appreciated.
I've used a couple Corona folding saws, but when the blade gets worn replacements are not readily available and you just end up buying another saw.

I am guessing that you typically use your chainsaw to do the majority of your work and therefore only turn to your hand saw every now and then................

What I have found, and this may just be dealing with my own experience, is that I use my hand saw for cutting small branches out of the way while I'm climbing. This way I can keep my chainsaw attached to my saddle and quickly ascend. I have found that the folding saws can be more of an inconvience than a benefit. Yes they are smaller and the one that you are looking at will probably cut with the same ease that Silky is known for........ but is wasted time opening and closing the saw worth the convience of a neater belt?

Actually, Shane, I just don't like having the scabbard on my belt. I hang my saw on either side, depending on where I am in the tree. If I had a scabbard for a handsaw, it would always get in the way. Been there, done that.

I use my handsaw a lot on ascents, I just don't fold it up between every cut. And my saw usually stays on the ground untill I'm tied in, then my groundman sends it up to me.

I also do a few demossing jobs, where I don't even use my chainsaw. It's a lot easier for me to get around in tight quarters without a scabbard hanging up on every limb I pass. I just want a good folding handsaw, without a scabbard, and a replaceable blade (at a reasonable price).

Brian;
Check out the Gomtaro from Silky. I picked one up a few months ago and its pretty good for climbing. You can purchase a leg scabbord for it which would get it out of your way. I also picked up a Super Accel, but I will only be using that for pruning shrubs on the ground. I really don't think that would be all too easy to carry around up in the tree unless you thread a wire or SMALL rope through the hole and clip it to your saddle.

My favorite is the fanno 13" . Ever think about attatching the scabard directly behind you ? You can retrofit your saddle to do this;) ;)

165,It isn't up to us to change your opinion-you know what YOU like. I went back and forth years ago between folders and scabbards. I settled on a scabbard and fixed blade. When the 13" Razor tooth saws came out I made the switch to them and the lighter smaller scabbard ( I was using 16" saws before). I actually use the saw scabbard for more than the saw-I like to hook the tail of my climbing line over the scabbard to keep it out of my feet, Ditto for the lanyard when ascending a ladder or rappelling down. All of which brings me to the point-I haven't got a clue about folders except that I noticed that Wal-mart is carrying a folding Razor tooth saw in the camping/sporting goods dept. Price-8 bucks-looks just like one of the Disston models. Wouldn't that be a kick if it is actually good quality? I may have to try one.:)

Nick,
Demossing is removal of moss. Ball moss and/or Spanish moss. On these jobs I rarely make any cuts, just pull moss and snap off deadwood.

Matt,
Of course I would use a small piece of rope to attach the saw to my belt. That's why they put a little hole in the handle. :rolleyes:
It looks like the Accel and Gomtaro have an identical tooth pattern. Again, I do NOT want a scabbard to tote around. Not on my leg, not on my belt. Any others out there with opinions on FOLDING saws? :confused:

Brian,

I can see why you find a scabbard awfully awkward sometimes. In fact, just the other day I was ascending through some tightly spaced branches and I caught the pressure clip on my Zubat scabbard. I didn't realize what I was caught on and gave a tug ...... ended up folding the clip right back. I said a few words about that! Perhaps folding would have prevented that?

Sorry that I don't have anymore advice on a folder, but perhaps someone will enlighten us all.

Got it today

Picked up the Super Accel today at Vermeer and will get a chance to try it tomorrow. I tried it out on a scrap piece of 1 1/4" dowel rod I had and it cut through in 8 strokes. I'm impressed! It has the same tooth pattern as the Zubat and Gomtaro, as well as most of the other Silky handsaws. At $28 it was my least expensive way to get a Silky in my hands. I like the fact that I can readily buy replacement blades also. :cool:

Brian, I've got an Super Accel.
I It's the greatest folding saw that I know of.
I use to carry it in a leg pocket all the time when I'm not
in a tree, I do miscellaneous garden work for the city.
In the tree I do prefer the Zubat.
I like that I can be a little more careless with the Accel since
the blades are pretty cheap to replace.
The handle is real comfy on the Accel too.
What I would like though, is for it to have kind of
like a "stiletto-knife" opening mechanism, so you can
get the blade out with one hand.
Saw it once on another folding saw, can't remeber the name of it though. Anyone ?

Latest posts

Back