Silvey Conversion Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilarch

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I know a round grinder can't be converted to square grinding...different angle/adjustments needed.

But can anyone who has a Silvey (Pro/Razur/Swing/SDM4) tell me if you could set one up to round grind?

I know a round grinder can't be converted to square grinding...different angle/adjustments needed.

But can anyone who has a Silvey (Pro/Razur/Swing/SDM4) tell me if you could set one up to round grind?

I'm sure you could, but why would a guy want to? Square is a far superior grind. And round grinders are cheap, they can be found fer a song on CL.

I live nowhere near the PNW...I'm sure I'll want to keep round filed chains on hand. There is no "cheap" way to get into square ground equipment, but why buy two grinders? Right now I'll keep round semi-chisel on hand for stumps/trash. Instead of my line up of round chisel and round semi-chisel I'd like to move to a square-chisel and round chisel line up.

If you're dropping that much coin on a grinder why buy one that can't do both square and round?

I've held off on buying a Silvey 510 partly because of price and partly because I've never hand a ground chain turn out as sharp as a filed chain.
I've never ground my own chains but this experience seems supported by guys on the web that DO grind their chains.

Yes. You can grind round chain on a square grinder. You just have to manually dress the wheel to a round shape that matches the cutter.

Just keep one wheel dressed for round & one wheel for square & swap the wheels out for different chain types.

I live nowhere near the PNW...I'm sure I'll want to keep round filed chains on hand. There is no "cheap" way to get into square ground equipment, but why buy two grinders? Right now I'll keep round semi-chisel on hand for stumps/trash. Instead of my line up of round chisel and round semi-chisel I'd like to move to a square-chisel and round chisel line up.

If you're dropping that much coin on a grinder why buy one that can't do both square and round?

I've held off on buying a Silvey 510 partly because of price and partly because I've never hand a ground chain turn out as sharp as a filed chain.
I've never ground my own chains but this experience seems supported by guys on the web that DO grind their chains.

If'n you want to keep some semi and full round in the stable, just file them (sounds like you do a good job). . . If you invest in a square grinder, I think you'd find the majority of your work would be with that profile.

Being in the PNW doesn't mean you can't run square in the majority, with obvious exceptions.

And you can get into square grinders "cheap", it just takes some patients and looking. . . I picked up mine for $235 shipped to my door.

Latest posts

Back