Simple Power Mac 6 ignition fix

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nogoingback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I found another option instead replacing the points and condenser or using a Nova/Megafire module on a Power Mac 6 and I'm assuming the older Mini macs too.

Picked up this saw at a flea market last weekend and did my normal routine for a saw with points ignition and no spark. Popped the flywheel off and used some fine sandpaper to clean the points which usually works but not this time. I then wired up a Nova module and got spark but the saw would not fire up accept for two faint pops. So I was thinking maybe the timing was off because of the flywheel design wasn't compatible with the module but I don't know for sure.

I've had good luck with these modules on other old saws so the problem was bugging me enough that It almost kept me from falling asleep later that night. I was thinking about a newer mini mac I had laying around and I figured I could swap the flywheel and coil over and just upgrade the whole ignition. Next day I got the parts off the mini mac and noticed the flywheel wasn't going to work because the crank shafts have a different diameter but the flywheels looked exactly the same. I know from other discussions about upgrading a saw from points to an oem electronic ignition that the flywheel and coil both have to be replaced to work but I took a chance with just the coil.

Long story short, the saw starts and runs great with just swapping in the newer coil. The only real issue and not a big one is coil laminates behind the slotted screw hole does have to be ground down so the side cover will clear it. The kill switch wire will have to be modified but that's an easy fix too.

The first pic shows the newer coil installed and the old one sitting next to it. Second pic is were I had to grind down the coil laminates. .
Has anyone else just just swapped a points ignition coil with a newer electronic one with success?

I've never done it,but interesting that it worked out.Good to know that "thinking outside the box" paid off.Good looking little saw by the way.

Depending on the saw model and the trigger module you may have to reverse the wiring going through the trigger for either negative or positive grounding set ups. Also if the coil is weak the triggers will not work.

Many of the Mac coils have surrendered to moisture damage over the years, to much internal corrosion.

yea good job on the repair keep them saws going cause they are top quality usa made saws speaking of nova modules i sell them so if you hear anyone needing one or two or three or more let them know about me please

calvin

Thanks for all the feed back.

Any opinions on keeping this as a collector saw or selling it and using the funds on something more unique and desirable.

Details?

Hello,

I have a Power Mac 6 and need a new coil. I have an offer in on eBay. If that falls through, can you explain how I can convert to the Nova/Megafire module on a Power Mac 6? Or maybe what replacement coil you ended up using in your application please? Thank you!

Latest posts

Back