simple rail CS mill

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klickitatsacket

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Winlock, Wa. under the shadow of Mt. St. Helens
here is a simple rail CS mill that I built for a customer that is designed to mount on the side of a log cabin to cut the gable ends flush. It could also be used to mill logs. It was made using the following:
1-stick of unistrut
2-6301 bearings
1-6" peice of 2"x2"x1/8" angle iron
2-12mm bolts
1-5/16" bolt
1-5/16" nut
3-5/16" washers

The bolts where cut to length and then swelled using a ball peen hamer to lock them into the bearings. Do not weld the bolts to the angle iron or it will bind on the rail if there is the slightest imperfection in it. You could put 2 bolts on the top to mount the bar but I wanted to be able to tip the saw if needed so I only used one. This is a really simple design that is ment to be used hanging on the wall and could be used with logs. I hope you guys enjoy.
mill_2084.jpg

mill_2086.jpg

If I understand correctly, that bolt would go through a hole in the bar? That's a pretty good design. Evan

Dean,
That's a great tip you've shared, I know I can incorporate it into use. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Oh no! - that is too good an idea to pass up - one way or another I have to use it on my next mill!.

Cheers

I agree... this is a relatively simple but effective little piece of engineering using common off the shelf parts. I have several of those bearings on my parts shelf as we speak. This is one of those "hey why didn't I think of that" deals. Thanks. I am just going to have to incorporate this into SOMETHING... maybe a future jig in my shop for one of my machines.

Latest posts

Back