Simple Stihl Chain Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We often cut dirty wood (riverbank management) and RM chains work fine. As for the gauge debate, .063 is what everybody uses on stihl saws around here (SE France) but I couldn't really argue about technical advantages. We also have a few huskys using .058 chains. No issues with oiling. All I know is that both work fine and that .063 is the most available for stihl saws around here so we stick to it.

Well, under good conditions, I'll fully agree. But most often, in long cold winter days working with wind-fallen trees, with tree-dull chains, the margin just isn't there. During summer days, things are more forgiving.
I guarantee it's as cold where I am at as where you're at. Are you required to run the eco-friendly bar oil in Sweden? We are not in the U.S., so I run winter grade Stihl bar oil with no issues in cold temps.

.063" definitely carries more oil around a bar. The advantages become significantly more noticeable when you're cutting dead Australian hardwood on a drought stricken river flat in an area with an average rainfall under 11".
The only chains I've ever had break under use were .050".

I bought a 362c-m today and am trying to figure out Stihl's chains. I've used Husky and Woodsmanpro chains in the past
but never Stihl. Anyway, I've been using full chisel chains but they do get dull pretty quick with dirty wood/stump cutting. So I want to know which Stihl chain is the standard semi-chisel (not low kickback). I assume its the Rapid Micro RM? What's the "Micro" all about? Also, Stihl says "STIHL RAPID is a taller-profile chain with more mass for larger displacement engines....." How large? 70cc and up? Thanks fellas.

Congratulations on your purchase. After a few tanks of fuel I think you will love the 362 C-M. I like the RS chain on a 20" bar, but I get it in yellow. I think the saw comes with green, cuts about the same when new but has more junk in the way between the teeth. If you want to improve performance a bit, the muffler screen is very easy to remove and you can always put it back in. My saw kept getting stronger for sever tanks of fuel.

I like the RS chain on a 20" bar, but I get it in yellow. I think the saw comes with green, cuts about the same when new but has more junk in the way between the teeth.

In case you're looking on the shelf and want to make sure what you're grabbing is what you want, RS is always yellow and RS3 is always green.

Providing the dealer uses the color coded tiestraps :)

Well then let me clarify :D

RS is always non safety chain and RS3 is always low-kickback "safety" chain.

People just tend to get hung up on a chain having two color options, when in fact the chains each have their own specific designations. Now I'm not saying some dealer or box store monkey can't still cock it up... But at least if you know the alphanumeric code, you stand a better chance of getting what you want. :popcorn:

Well then let me clarify :D

RS is always non safety chain and RS3 is always low-kickback "safety" chain.

People just tend to get hung up on a chain having two color options, when in fact the chains each have their own specific designations. Now I'm not saying some dealer or box store monkey can't still cock it up... But at least if you know the alphanumeric code, you stand a better chance of getting what you want. :popcorn:

No need to fill me in. I sell the stuff :) Is it some type of dealer rule over in the states that you have to use the color designated tiestraps depending on the type of chain? I see the yellow and green tiestraps mentioned with you guys a lot but it's pretty well unheard of in Australia.

Here as well, and I don't think the "3" chain even is offered here (but haven't looked into it latetely).

Special order here and not a standard gauge on 3/8", non LP chain. You won't even find .050" chain in most dealers apart from LP. Some mid sized Echos come fitted with it but that's all.

Special order here and not a standard gauge on 3/8", non LP chain. You won't even find .050" chain in most dealers apart from LP. Some mid sized Echos come fitted with it but that's all.

By "3" chain I meant "safety" chain like RS3, RM3 etc, not .050 gauge chain - but we mostly don't have .050 chain here either, in regular .325 or 3/8". ;)

No need to fill me in. I sell the stuff :) Is it some type of dealer rule over in the states that you have to use the color designated tiestraps depending on the type of chain? I see the yellow and green tiestraps mentioned with you guys a lot but it's pretty well unheard of in Australia.

No, certainly wasn't aimed at you by any stretch!!

It was meant as an open conversation for random Joe Sawowner who may not have the whole story. It seems there's constant confusion on what chain people think they are buying...

The color thing really seems to add confusion and frustration to the whole process. :shakeshead:

When I order tie straps they don't come in colors. When I use tie straps from a roll of chain they are colored to correspond with the roll of chain. I rarely worry about using a green or yellow tie strap when repairing someone's chain.

Thanks for the updates guys. I've imported Stihl chain from the US before and all the tiestraps were yellow. I sold about 2,000 feet of Australian sourced Stihl chain last year and color coded tiestraps simply don't exist here.
Interesting stuff.

Back