Since most loggers drive diesel 4x4 trucks..

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtimer

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I decided to post this link in here..how does 30 mpg in a 4x4 crew cab diesel truck grab you? How about 20 mpg at 70 mph?

Here's the link.

LINKY.

Hmm. Seems like it would cost more for me to buy a ~50,000 dollar truck to get 30mpg vs keeping my ~20,000 dollar truck to get 15mpg.

I am having a real hard time believing it. Maybee 35 mpg going down hill or accelerating then letting off the gas but I don't see how a Ford CC with Duramax could get remotely close to 35 mpg.

Waaaay back in 1984 ford made a diesel truck that got over 20 mpg with a four speed manual trans and no computer or turbo. With a kittle tweaking to the fuel pump it would run well over 100 mph and tow loads way over gvw, not at the same time because i did not have the nerve.
There has been a huge increase in power but also a decrease in fuel mileage and a huge increase in maintenance and operating expense.
For $50,000 dollars I am not very satisfied with any of the new trucks!

The last 93 dodge with a cummins in it I had would get 20-21 at 70 mph. If you slowed down to 55-60 it would do 23-24. Old school with no computers. I wish they would get these new ones to get some good mpg without aftermarker programming.

Waaaay back in 1984 ford made a diesel truck that got over 20 mpg with a four speed manual trans and no computer or turbo. With a kittle tweaking to the fuel pump it would run well over 100 mph and tow loads way over gvw, not at the same time because i did not have the nerve.
There has been a huge increase in power but also a decrease in fuel mileage and a huge increase in maintenance and operating expense.

Thank the EPA.

Those are the numbers computed on the lieometer, wonder how it converts when figured by hand. The lieometer on my truck is off by 5 mpg.

Gettin' 2 new rigs through GSA pretty soon. Fingers crossed they're Fords and diesels. They'll be 1-T duallys carrying 350-gal wildland fire skids + tool boxes. The E-85 Chev I drive right now gets an abysmal 9MPG average!

Those are the numbers computed on the lieometer, wonder how it converts when figured by hand. The lieometer on my truck is off by 5 mpg.

I remember sitting in an old boss crew cab f250, he was real proud of it, we were stopped at a light en route to the unit, it said we were getting 14 mpg., by my calculations we were getting 0.

I had one back in '84, and it got 19 mpg. Since then I have owned 7 more of them, and mileage got progressively worse w/ each one. The power did increase tho..as did the problems, lol.

My 2000 7.3 is dead nuts reliable. I just went over the scales at the pulp mill on my way to drop 7 oak logs off at the log buyer's concentration yard.
It tipped the scales @ 18,520 pounds. The 7.3 moved it out and took it down the highway @ 70 with no effort. Not too bad. It returns about 10 mpg @ 55 loaded like that. Empty @ 11,800, it can get as high as 14 if I drive for it.
2000 F550 4x4 dump.

Now, if this new engine makes double the power and gets better mileage in the process...I'm down for one. With over 10 million road test miles on it, I think Ford has made it reliable. At least I hope so.

Hahaha. Everybody is fighting for 20 mpg at 70 mph.
In 1982 me, my dad, and a friend put a v6 Cummins out of an old loader in a 1979 Ford Centurion (van cab, pickup bed) 1 ton. We used a transmission out of a 1966 GMC C60 (If I remember right). The tranny was supposed to be a 5 speed overdrive, but turned out to be an underdrive. Even with that little boo boo it was awsome. It would run 72 mph, top end, it got 19 mpg loaded or empty, and would do it uphill, downhill, or on flat ground. I pulled some pretty impressive loads with it and it would out pull anything on the market today.
No, it wouldn't smoke the tires like these little modern diesels. But that's not what it was built to do.

Now if 3 rednecks could do that in 1982, wouldn't you think that Ford/GMC/Dodge should be able to produce a diesel that would get 50 to 75 mpg by now with all the technology, and money for research they have? Nope, they're still braggin' about 20 mpg at 70 mph. :laugh:

Andy

I agree but you guys didn't have alterior motives, such as kissing up to EPA, satifying the Big three, or producing a product with not more that a year operating life. Get the picture. Horse sense and work ethic are more highy prized than Engineering for most applications. I work around on and around alot of ex-military vehicles. None are bad but they all could be better. Really low geared and overpowered, no fuel mileage, rudementry controls, over weight by a long shot, but they for the most part are tough. We use them for firesupport and wildland fire response. We haul heavy loads and use country roads where and when we can. So we don't need high speeds and they work out great. But the mileage kills us.

Last edited:
I'll stick to my half-ton gas. It's paid off next year. and 20-23mpg is fine by me.

Back