Singing tree hippy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup , Dingbat. What was that a topped and re-topped willow? I wonder what song she would sing if it fell on her car? " It was a beautiful car"?

oh ya dude. thats my area so to speak. done plenty of tree work round them parts. pleeeentty of fruits around somerville. gotta have yourself a look around cambridge too if you want to see some real idiots in action. lol.

i recognize the company who took that tree down too. nice equipment at that place, i'll give em that.

My Hat's off to you guys that gotta live and work around these dipsticks.

But there's just gotta be something goin on in the water or something.

That much stupid in one area just ain't natural.:dizzy:

Wear your gloves and use the sanitizer....

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

M

That much stupid in one area just ain't natural.:dizzy:

That's what happens when you:

1. Crowd poeple together for too long.
  2. Dumb down the educational system so that people have no understanding of REAL human rights, like the right to private property.

I would have handed her a bill for slowing my production and distracting the crew. All those people that close to the worksite could have been another story if something went wrong.$100.00 bucks an hour and that song would have been a short poem.:chainsaw:

At the end of the video you can hear some nut claiming he is going to "talk to the arborist society" about the guys doing the work. I wonder what ever came of that. I also wonder where those educated people were when that tree was topped.

She has balls to get out and stand up for what she believes in public, even if she is irritating.

Obviously the tree had already been hacked, a topped willow that large is a disaster waiting to happen in that location.

None of the people there had any idea that in Somerville, Mass. the property owner has the right to cut anything down on their property they want to.

They have the right to protest if they want to, freedom is wonderful thing.

Cops looked like they were having a good time, think of the overtime pay potential!

I'm seeing both sides, everything worked out fine. More education is needed to the general public to inform them of the subtleties around tree hazard conditions etc.

People in the Boston area are super reactive to trees being taken down on private property because during the last round of real estate boom condo developers bought triple decker apartment buildings all over the place and then cut down all the trees on the properties so they could put parking in for each floor. Used to be people parked their cars on the street but a developer can a get lot more for a condo if there is off street parking included. People are pissed off that so many fine trees went down just so a developer could flip a property for quick profit.

The guy ranting about certified arborists is obviously clueless.
-mossyHippy (even though I have no hair, haha)

Last edited:
Might as well, since its considered child abuse to use those willow switches these days.
It is a pretty Tree, and her morning the tree loss with song is not such a bad way to express her protest. In comparison to the actual endangering of the climbers in this Video, hers is benign.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zj0dMnSInKk
coments from http://www.protestshooter.com/20080905OaksCutDown/
Update: at about 2:15pm they were trimming some high branches of the redwood and the sitters had something heavy (a bit of branch?) tied to the end of a rope and were slinging it at the workers and then pulling it back and trying again. Classy. Didn't do any good except slow them down a bit - lots of greenery falling. (they're apparently hoping to snag it on one of their tools)

2:30 There's at least two, two-man teams up on cranes with long cutting polls and it's pretty much impossible to defend against, although they're using branches to hit the polls. Basically imagine some guys standing in a tree and every little bit of greenery is being cut from around them - snip, snip, snip - until they're basically standing on a stubby branch next to a bare trunk. That's where they're headed. It's slow, though, and in the short term the back and forth will make the sitters feel like they've accomplished something. I think the goal is to see how they feel in the morning...

I was involved with the removal of SD's largest silver maple on the University of SD campus back in '97 and there were plenty of tree and squirrel huggers around to protest the ordeal - albeit, they did so peacefully and listened to the security personnel.

The tree was about 130 years old and had been cabled extensively several years prior by me and a few other arboriculture students back in my college days. It's not like we hadn't tried to save the tree; yet, some folks were not happy that the decision was made to remove it after one of the cables had broken and a huge 3' dia branch had split off from the main stem. No one was hurt by the 80' long branch when it fell but, it caused enough concern that university heads decided the liability was too great to keep the rest of the tree around.

Things got off to a slow start on the day of the removal when a couple of hippie wannabees noticed a squirrel way up in the tree and insisted that we wait for it to come out before proceeding. Yeh, right. 250 people standing around the police tape watching this squirrel and he's just going to run down out of the tree so we can get started. I think not. Well, not until the chainsaws fired up a few feet from him... :laugh: Then, he found a new home lickety split and the branches starting falling.

Poor squirrel huggers weren't too happy about that.

good thing they weren't around the time I cut down a dead cottonwood tree and mommy raccoon and her 5 babies came bouncing out of the hollow top when it smacked the ground! Ohhhhh, the wailing and gnashing of teeth...

...I'm talking about the hippies...had they been there.

The best part is when old debby there finishes her first corny verse, and then the highranger moves in and gets busy, lol.

That's what I was thinking. Thought I mighta been the only one pumping my fist and saying "Hell YEAH" at that part.

:popcorn: Was a nice tree, lady was kinda annoying. But hey if the guy wants
to be a :censored: then lettem be a :censored: karma will get him

Back