Single ring piston vs double

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eiler2641

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I ordered a meteor cylinder and piston kit for a Jred 2172 and when I got it I realized the piston only had a single ring on it. My question is how big of a deal is it, should I buy another piston that has a double ring on it. It's really only another $40 to get a piston with two rings.

You will get more replies from the saw builders, I am certain.
My initial reaction was exactly as you said. "if it was supposed to be there, then...."
I have changed my tune a little. I am now to the :rolleyes: theory.

Some engines were designed for only one ring. Some were designed for two.

One theory was the second ring helped cool the piston. Another theory was the second ring created more friction.
You won't see a increase in compression. I doubt that one ring wears out any faster than a two ring piston.

I would be of the theory that if there is two grooves there, put a second ring on there. In your situation, put one ring on it and run it like you stole it.

The extra ring on most US sold 372xp etc is mainly an EPA thing - most will prefere a single ring piston (or run the double ring one with only the top ring).

I wouldn't say it is a big deal though!

Back