Single vs. Double Piston Rings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GREAT !!!!!!
Now we are all on a new page !!
If ring seal were so important to some - why is it that they dont run a richer oil mixture ??
Also, if ring seal needs so much attention ......... where are our zero gap rings for our saws ??

I have opened hundreds of single and double ring pistons for 2 cycles .............. both have been carboned up, and both have been spotless.
Nobody complained that they "lost power" in use due to a single ring, and nobody ever complained that their 2nd ring "slowed down" their engine ------- unless straight gas was involved

On a stock saw I have allways done what the origional engineers designed, single groove gets single ring, double groove gets 2 rings.

Modified saws:
cookie cutting=single ring (no matter how many grooves in the piston)
work saw=two in the hole if it can take it, one if it cant

Pretty soon this 1 ring vs 2 will turn out to be the new way to get into another oil thread !!

Wagnerwerks

Wagnerwerks

The underdog..
This is funny. I was just looking into this for the 064 I'm putting together. I found a ton of info on snowmobile building. Most agree that one ring with the extra ring groove carrying extra fuel/oil up and down the cylinder.
I'm no where near an expert engine builder. I just thought I'd share. I'm going to go with one ring just for poops and giggles and because of all I've read.

Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
This is funny. I was just looking into this for the 064 I'm putting together. I found a ton of info on snowmobile building. Most agree that one ring with the extra ring groove carrying extra fuel/oil up and down the cylinder.
I'm no where near an expert engine builder. I just thought I'd share. I'm going to go with one ring just for poops and giggles and because of all I've read.
Was this information from snow mobile race motors ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wagnerwerks

Wagnerwerks

The underdog..
Yes. I'm in no way saying that doubles won't last longer or even seal better, but I tear my saws apart all the time....lol. The saw I'll be doing a single ring in is ported pretty hard from what I can tell so I'm going that route. It will be a gtg/random large tree felling saw.

Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
Yes. I'm in no way saying that doubles won't last longer or even seal better, but I tear my saws apart all the time....lol. The saw I'll be doing a single ring in is ported pretty hard from what I can tell so I'm going that route. It will be a gtg/random large tree felling saw.

Some of those guys tear down the motor after each race .......... and it looks like you dont mind the extra work !
Please let us know if you notice the difference and any longevity issues if they crop up as you tear it apart.