Sins of the father...Homelite 150 story

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldsaw

"Been There, Milled That"
Reaction score
Well, after mowing the lawn for the first time today, I finally got the nerve to tear my 150 apart and re-seal the case halves that my father opened in error, now many years ago. A couple of the screws are broken around the gas tank, and some type of sealant glop was everywhere inside.

The story isn't atypical of what anyone faces splitting things that were best left alone. Searching the floor for a spring, trying to get a host of pieces parts all pointing the right way before the Yamahabond set-up. Except, my case halves are now screwed and clamped together on my workbench to make sure there are NO leaks this time. I don't want to do that again. I wouldn't put the effort in except that it is a really nice little saw, and its the one I learned to saw on 30 years ago when it was relatively new.

I did some of the smart things that I didn't do the first time I went into it, like wedging the recoil with a scewdriver. There is some amazing engineering in there, and a couple of places where someone needed their head examined, but, I guess that's been the case with every one of them I've opened up...except my old Mall built Monkey Wards, that is as near "engineering free" as any near modern saw could be. Not once did I go "wow, that's a neat way of doing it" on that old Monkey Wards thing.

Anyway, I'm 30 minutes of work from getting it done, and may end up finishing it tomorrow. Don't want to upset the "glue" holding it together. Now, my venting is over, and you can go about your day.

Mark

oldsaw said:
Well, after mowing the lawn for the first time today, I finally got the nerve to tear my 150 apart and re-seal the case halves that my father opened in error, now many years ago. A couple of the screws are broken around the gas tank, and some type of sealant glop was everywhere inside.

The story isn't atypical of what anyone faces splitting things that were best left alone. Searching the floor for a spring, trying to get a host of pieces parts all pointing the right way before the Yamahabond set-up. Except, my case halves are now screwed and clamped together on my workbench to make sure there are NO leaks this time. I don't want to do that again. I wouldn't put the effort in except that it is a really nice little saw, and its the one I learned to saw on 30 years ago when it was relatively new.

I did some of the smart things that I didn't do the first time I went into it, like wedging the recoil with a scewdriver. There is some amazing engineering in there, and a couple of places where someone needed their head examined, but, I guess that's been the case with every one of them I've opened up...except my old Mall built Monkey Wards, that is as near "engineering free" as any near modern saw could be. Not once did I go "wow, that's a neat way of doing it" on that old Monkey Wards thing.

Anyway, I'm 30 minutes of work from getting it done, and may end up finishing it tomorrow. Don't want to upset the "glue" holding it together. Now, my venting is over, and you can go about your day.

Mark
Sounds like ya enjoying ya project there and bringing back some fond memories while your doing it, can't beat that. Hope ya getter finnished and she purrs like a kitten for ya................

me too- hope she purrs like a kitten- I have my Grandaddy's 1969 Ford 100-
learned to drive in it when I was 14- I'm slowly making it new- that's what it made me think of- good memories.....

shucksters said:
me too- hope she purrs like a kitten- I have my Grandaddy's 1969 Ford 100-
learned to drive in it when I was 14- I'm slowly making it new- that's what it made me think of- good memories.....

Good for you , thats what family and life is all about. My friends always tease me as to why ya got so many saws out in the shed. Seems I got two or three of most everything. I always tellem one day when I'm dead and gone those things yaw fussing at me about will be your sweet memories. Recently got me a grandson. Nothing else he should have a ball with all his grandpa's saws, tools, ???? flicks, all sorts of stuff................

Yeah, there are a lot of good memories in that old blue saw. Dad will actually be here next weekend, so I'll be able to run it for him and show him it probably doesn't leak. Saved her from the junkyard.

Dad already started the restoration of his '53 Ford F250. I'll get to finish it. He's 71, and at the rate he's going, he'll have to live to 120. Lot of memories in that truck too. Although I can't claim too many "firsts in it", since my first driving experience was in someone elses late 40s Ford 1 1/2 ton truck. I was 7, Dad tossed me in, and said "drive it down to the end of the field". He knew I knew how to drive a stick, just hadn't done it. I learned to drive on the road in his '69 F100 too, at the tender age of 13 or 14. Not long after, Dad got a '61 F600, man I loved that truck. I was miffed when he sold it, but I didn't have the cash nor a place to park it. But, I KNOW who owns it, and I've got first dibs.

Mark

oldsaw said:
Yeah, there are a lot of good memories in that old blue saw. Dad will actually be here next weekend, so I'll be able to run it for him and show him it probably doesn't leak. Saved her from the junkyard.

Dad already started the restoration of his '53 Ford F250. I'll get to finish it. He's 71, and at the rate he's going, he'll have to live to 120. Lot of memories in that truck too. Although I can't claim too many "firsts in it", since my first driving experience was in someone elses late 40s Ford 1 1/2 ton truck. I was 7, Dad tossed me in, and said "drive it down to the end of the field". He knew I knew how to drive a stick, just hadn't done it. I learned to drive on the road in his '69 F100 too, at the tender age of 13 or 14. Not long after, Dad got a '61 F600, man I loved that truck. I was miffed when he sold it, but I didn't have the cash nor a place to park it. But, I KNOW who owns it, and I've got first dibs.

Mark

Reading ya words there it appears theres a great father/ son relationship still going strong and its great. Your pop is proud of you and no doult your proud of him. Bet he is gonna love the visit. Those old saws and trucks mean as much to him as they do you and he'll be delighted your fixing them up. Good job......................

I got her together last night, fired her up in the garage, wife wasn't too happy, but I was. So far, no leaks. Need to warm it up and adjust the carb. Took 4 pulls to fire, 6 to start. Hasn't run for 3 years. Always was a good starter. Only thing left to put on it is the bar and chain.

Mark

Back