Skid steer tires

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oly's Stump

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a CAT 236 skid steer with grapple that I use for lot clearing. The CAT tires that came with it are cracking and small chunks of tread are even missing. I was thinking of going to a solid rubber tire. Anybody out there recommend a tire that can take the abuse on these lot jobs.

Last edited:
The wear you describe sounds normal for skid steer tires.
Unless you have a lot of flats from working in an environment that punctures the tires frequently, there is very little to be gained from solid tires, foam filled tires or even the semi solid tires. The tread surface will wear the same or worse than the standard tire.
The very nature of a "skid steer" sliding the tires around on the ground causes the tread surface to get long deep scratches and chunks of rubber torn out no matter what is supporting the surface of the tread.
Air filled tires are cheaper, more comfortable for the operator, and often give the best traction.
Some liquid stop leak works very well for occasional small punctures and helping to maintain the psi.

I'm working around an old 753, and the contractor mounted 16" truck tires on it... Seems to work just fine.

Foam-fill is another option, at around $1,400.00 for all four via my local Les Schwab.

Latest posts

Back