SkilSaw 1616 Back from the Dead!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alaskan Stihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, got this SkilSaw 1616 a few months back and actually eBay’d all the parts that were missing (or broken) as well as installed a new Carb Kit and it runs!!!

Issue #1: The Choke Holder (Plastic Piece that holds the Throttle-Trigger in place, as well as supports the choke assembly) was broken so I had to modify it by attaching a forked piece on the end to get it to work. My new design turned out to be a double edged sword however. Although my modification now holds the throttle-trigger in place….I can no longer engage the choke 100% (only 50%).

The good news is that I can dis-engage the choke so it is open (clear).

Of course this now means that my saw is cold-blooded and rather difficult to start, in fact it refuses to start even with the choke engaged at 50%.

To get it to start, I simply add a couple drops of Gas to prime the carburetor an it give it a couple pulls and it starts right up.

Of course, once I get it running & warmed up, I can shut it off and within about 5 minutes and it will start with 1 or maybe 2 pulls and idle and run like it should.

HOWEVER (here is the issue): If I let it sit past 5 minutes…then I have to reprime the carburetor or it will not start. Even though the chainsaw is still warm…it won’t even try to start without that gas prime.

I am going to double check the fuel line to make sure there is no holes…but other than that…does anyone have any other suggestions I should try or look for?

Thanks!

Ok, got this SkilSaw 1616 a few months back and actually eBay’d all the parts that were missing (or broken) as well as installed a new Carb Kit and it runs!!!

Issue #1: The Choke Holder (Plastic Piece that holds the Throttle-Trigger in place, as well as supports the choke assembly) was broken so I had to modify it by attaching a forked piece on the end to get it to work. My new design turned out to be a double edged sword however. Although my modification now holds the throttle-trigger in place….I can no longer engage the choke 100% (only 50%).

The good news is that I can dis-engage the choke so it is open (clear).

Of course this now means that my saw is cold-blooded and rather difficult to start, in fact it refuses to start even with the choke engaged at 50%.

To get it to start, I simply add a couple drops of Gas to prime the carburetor an it give it a couple pulls and it starts right up.

Of course, once I get it running & warmed up, I can shut it off and within about 5 minutes and it will start with 1 or maybe 2 pulls and idle and run like it should.

HOWEVER (here is the issue): If I let it sit past 5 minutes…then I have to reprime the carburetor or it will not start. Even though the chainsaw is still warm…it won’t even try to start without that gas prime.

I am going to double check the fuel line to make sure there is no holes…but other than that…does anyone have any other suggestions I should try or look for?

Thanks!
Pictures? I've not seen one before

Latest posts

Back