SkilShop 1716 type 1 any know anything about it or what its worth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joseph wilhoite

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a skilshop 1716 type 1 in great condition, runs great. does anyone know anything about it. Tried to find out something but not having much luck. Thank you all!!!

Last edited:
I have a couple in those awful orange colour that I am going to combine into one. Look well built and solid. I haven't cut with them but they seem to be willing. Here is one.

P4140771.jpg

Al.

I have a SKIL 1645 which is also a rebadged PM340 Did Skil have severel different model #`s of the same rebadged PM saw?.

There were in the neighborhood of 10 different Skil models that were a PM 340. Just a estimate because I doubt anyone truely knows for sure, that includes Skil themselves. Skil sold the saw in different colors, which had different model numbers. They sold them with and with bar/chains, which again had different model numbers. They sold them with different bar\chain lengths, each of which had different model numbers.

There were in the neighborhood of 10 different Skil models that were a PM 340. Just a estimate because I doubt anyone truely knows for sure, that includes Skil themselves. Skil sold the saw in different colors, which had different model numbers. They sold them with and with bar/chains, which again had different model numbers. They sold them with different bar\chain lengths, each of which had different model numbers.

Many Thanks for sharing your knowledge with the less learned.
Shep

Thanks for that, I knew that the the Skil 1644 & the 1645 were a PM 340, the 44 being only a powerhead & the 45 being a complete saw did not know of the other #`s being based on the 340.

I was attempting to start a new thread and I don't know what happened, but the topic is similar enough that I thought I would continue with the posting.
I just snagged a SkilShop 1716 type 1 in beautiful condition. Contrary to the saws shown above, it is a bright yellow with a 20 " bar. It has seen very little use because it still has almost all its original paint.
Was this saw designed as a home saw, or was it used by professionals for bucking and limbing. Considering the size of our trees, I can't imagine it was used as a faller's saw
Bob
Comox BC
numerous big old Pioneers, Macs, Stihls, Huskys, and Homelite saws

According to the link describing the saws, the PM 340 was given several different numbers, depending on whether it was just the powerhead or powerhead and various length bars. I haven't attempted to fire it up yet, but it will run.
Below is a link with the complete description of the saw.
http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...de68794bd98e77e788256afc001d09d9?OpenDocument

Bob
Comox BC

I was just looking through my collection, and I have a PM 380 that I had stored with my big Pioneers! It is a cream, a very light grey, coloured saw, and it would not take much to get it running.
If anyone wants a picture of a saw by a homegrown manufacturer that I didn't even know existed, I will be willing to take some and post them. Almost all my saws are restored to running order, but I don't do the paint or the decals,
so they won't be as beautiful as some of the saws I have seen here. I just acquired the PM 380 a month ago, and had no idea that the saw was manufacturered in Vancouver, BC.
In the late 59 through 1961, I worked in the woods in the interior of BC, operating a skidder,. All the saws I was familiar with in our rinkydink operation were all Macs, and the saws were owned by the fallers. It was a different
world.
Bob
Comox BC

Back