skip-tooth or full-comp for milling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skooks

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all:

I am a weekend warrior and do some chainsaw milling as a hobby. I am currently using full-comp semi-chisel ripping chain on an 066 with a 36-inch bar. Has anyone experimented with skip-tooth for ripping? Seems to me it would clear the chips better and maybe faster with the long bar.

Thanks.

Don

Yep.. I've used both...

Full comp without modification if not anywhere near as efficient as a custom ripping chain, but it's better than skip. Skip will clear better, but milling is mostly a very fine material anyhow particularly on an unmodified chain.

I modify my full comp chain exactly the same way that Granberg does with pairs of slicing cutters intermixed with 5 degree "standard" cutters. This way you get the clearance and the sliceing.

Are you using the Baileys full comp "ripping chain" or a standard semi-chisel chain with 5 or 10 degree cuttters?

Last edited:
I'm using a Oregon's ripping chain which is semi-chisel chain with a 10 degree cuttters angle. Seems to work reasonably well.

-Don

I have tried that chain... I "think" it's the same as what Baileys sells.. Maybe it depends on the wood, but I'd modify it.. You'll need access to a chain grinder to take of the sides of the cutters that you'll convert to slicers.

Lakeside53 said:
I have tried that chain... I "think" it's the same as what Baileys sells.. Maybe it depends on the wood, but I'd modify it.. You'll need access to a chain grinder to take of the sides of the cutters that you'll convert to slicers.

Do I need to dig up my Dremel thread?!

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=36369&highlight=doubt+power+dremel

I use full comp, I dont see how skip will gain you anything other than more time bent over the log.

Latest posts

Back