Slab Finishing ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimosawboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have built numerous slab tables over the years but with all of them I have removed all the bark. At present I'm finishing a cherry slab that is thoroughly air dried but there is bark in the inclusions and on the live edge that I would like to keep for contrast. The bark has shrunk over the years but it is not going anywhere without help.
The question I have is has anyone finished a slab and left the bark in place and what were the results afterwords???Also what species and finish were used??

Thanks
G Vavra

I always remove the bark, it's a dust and clothing catcher. For finish I was an oil / varnish mix. I hand plan surface before oiling and use 3 -4 coats.

Use epoxy finish. It will hold the bark and is durable enough to stand up to a lot of abuse. Then send us pictures! Brookpederson, that is a fantastic table.

At present I'm playing around with some finishes to see what they come out like. I have got a 50/50 mix of water and weldbond , two part epoxy/ and just straight polyurethane in several coats. So far the the 50/50 mixture seems to be the best but I still have another type of epoxy to try.
Thanks for the input.
G Vavra

Like dogs some people like to bark and some don't. I've been succesfull with Ash, Red Oak, Pin Oak by spraying succsessive layers of laquer into and onto the bark air and airless, glued some but as mentioned above won't last indefinite. Better to remove and wire wheel it smooth. My birthday today. been drinkin' a lil' bit so some or all of this may not make sense.

Back