Slab thickness

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AaronB

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What thickness do you slab your boards if you plan on selling/using them for live edge tables or things like that, or maybe not knowing what a customer will do with it?

Normally I just do 1.125" or so but that was when I was just using it for woodworking projects and just needed .75 thick boards, but I have had some people ask if I had any thick slabs, but I usually don't mill thick since I didn't know what I would do with it.

I have another log of that ash tree that has streaks in it and considering making thicker slabs.

Attachments

• 20171209_105132.jpg
    20171209_105132.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 39
1" and 2". They are run through the edger and turned into lumber when there is enough.

Lol guess we do them a bit bigger. I cut at 3 3/4". Let them dry for 3 years. Then plane them on a cnc router table. I end up with nice flat on both side at 3" to 3 1/4" slabs for tables, desks, and bar tops. 1" would be considered shelving. 2" is a thin slab. Folks here want big heavy chunky slabs.

Lol guess we do them a bit bigger. I cut at 3 3/4". Let them dry for 3 years. Then plane them on a cnc router table. I end up with nice flat on both side at 3" to 3 1/4" slabs for tables, desks, and bar tops. 1" would be considered shelving. 2" is a thin slab. Folks here want big heavy chunky slabs.
A fellow paradisian Miller! Off topic. Sorry. Just bought a chain at Don's for my new 72" gb bar. I am over at Sierra gem in town. Sorry again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

By the way, we slab at 3.5" to 4" depending on species and application.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thickness seems relative to your market. Some people want boards as thick as 3 inches, but most don't seem to think about it. I usually mill to 2 and 3/8" for countertops and bars. Anything more is pretty impractical to move around and shape. It also takes longer to cure. I seem to get more warping in the thick slabs too.
3" slabs eat up a log very quickly also, so if you have a prized log (like spalted ash), you probably want to cut it thinner.
Sometimes a 4" slab is useful for legs or posts and for finer furniture 3" is plenty. Thick slabs make nice mantle pieces too.

I do 1" , but that is for my own use and a couple friends!---We mostly find better use for 3/4" and less, ( finished size), for our needs. Some goes as low as 1/4" finished size. No body around here does the thick stuff so unless it's a special order, I don't cut it! thanks; sonny580

I started off milling around 2" thick found myself having to plane down to 6/4 and wasn't thrilled with how thin it was for a natural edge table. I now mill 3" thick cause it keeps the wood in place more and I'll always have a 8/4 + finished product. Pretty much would never milk under 10/4 at this point.

Back