Small bucket truck

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redcentinela

Reaction score
Hi to all of you and thanks for letting me be part of this community. I work for the Municipality of Ponce and I am in charge of the tree care program . We already have one LRV 58 Altec bucket truck with chip box. We are planing to buy a smaller truck like a 450 or 550 ( crew cab) in order to get it in tighter spaces.

I would like to know what tipe of bucket equipment ( if telescopic, articulated or telescopic/articulated) is the most recomended for this type of chassis and the tree maintenance (prunning and cutting) we plan to do.

Anyone knows that telescopic has its limitations that an articulated has some advantages. I don't really know the advantage of an articulated/telescopic arm.

Any recomendations from the ones who had experience with smaller equipment are welcome.

Sorry about my english, my native language is spanish. Thanks.

In my opinion the small trucks have their place and are invaluable for quick low line trimming. I have 37 ft boom on a 450 chassis with a stabalizer so not having to set outriggers down everytime we go up saves tons of time. I like the articulated boom most of the time but there are times that the telescopic boom would be nice. It all depends on the situation you in majority of the time.

Thanks for your response. I plan to buy a material handling 42-44 feet articulating truck with a 1,000lbs jib. I plan to use the jib to to hold branches and take them down securely around houses and structures. Thanks for any other comments.

Most utilitarian Bucket Truck

Altec AT37G (boom) articulating & telescopic

High Ranger HR37M (boom) features the 1000# material handler.

Ford F550 4x4 Bucket Truck (chassis) Front outriggers

Some important things to consider for safe equipment

You are wise to ask, study and look broadly at types and styles of equipment. If you have not bought the truck you want, please read my suggestions.
In my first six years as an arborist (1992-1999) I climbed trees and worked off a 20' extension ladder strapped to the trunk(s). In 2001 I found a business partner who has a Task Force 42' trailer-mounted lift. We did a lots of jobs with this lift, so much that I grew to hate the pull-out hand-cranked outriggers. By 2007 I felt the necessity to end the partnership and buy my own lift and carry on with work. By 2008 I bought a used 2003 trailer-mounted Nifty Lift model TM40 that raises to 46' and has gas power, operating hydraulic outriggers. If I ever replace this lift it will be to reach 55-60' and to have dual-power system such as battery and propane fueled gas engine. The main point wish to make is to have a vehicle with hydraulic outriggers.
As Nifty Lift states on their documents "If in doubt just ask".
Buena suerte y vaya con Dios!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back