Small Echo saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 271 is my most used saw. I climb with it and use it for anything 10" or under.

I've had a 330T for a few years. I picked it up for $100 from an AS member that was local to me in California. It has been very handy, and was a great starter saw for my boy when he was 11 or 12 years old. I recently picked up a new 2011 CS341T for really cheap, and it seems like the 330T will get a break for awhile.

I have a 550EVL that my Dad bought new some time in the mid-late 80's. I use it a lot...even cut firewood with it last night. It ALWAYS starts!!! Kinda heavy and does not rev like my 026, but it runs good and is very reliable! That little 330 must be a great runner too!

My neighbor has a little Echo, I think it is a CS-305. He abuses that thing, trying to cut stuff way to big for it, usually with dull chains. It keeps on going!

I even have an extra small "Tiger" brand bar & chain I picked up when Bailey's was blowing them out for $12, waiting for the next time we cut together - just so I don't have to cringe. After Sandy we were cleaning up and I let him run my ported Poulan 2775 for a minute, and barely got it back!

I have a 550EVL that my Dad bought new some time in the mid-late 80's. I use it a lot...even cut firewood with it last night. It ALWAYS starts!!! Kinda heavy and does not rev like my 026, but it runs good and is very reliable! That little 330 must be a great runner too!
Both the CS 500 and 550 EVL's were great saws in their day. Hardly a stitch of plastic on them, they are good performers. Only my Stihl 361 will outperform them, pound-for-pound, but then there are few saws that the 361 cannot beat in that respect. Heck, these older Echos were made 30 years ago, and they keep on going and going.

I had a 3000T that I kept in the back of the truck to cut small stuff up while I was mowing.Got in a Bind and sold it to my Friend Chris to carry on his 4 Wheeler.I wish I hadn't done that.:angry: He told me the the other day he hadn't even used it and has had it 3-4 years.

Both the CS 500 and 550 EVL's were great saws in their day. Hardly a stitch of plastic on them, they are good performers. Only my Stihl 361 will outperform them, pound-for-pound, but then there are few saws that the 361 cannot beat in that respect. Heck, these older Echos were made 30 years ago, and they keep on going and going.

Here is a pic of a couple of cs 550 EVLs I have recently completed as firewood saws. Both saws were less than $75 each incl shipping. Neither ran but were easily fixed with either a fuel or electrical problem. The paint quality is amazing on these old Echos. They are strong saws and reliable. Maybe not as fast RPM wise but lots of torque. The second pic indicates how much I like them. IMG_0869.JPG IMG_0871.JPG

That 302 is a sort of stone axe grade of saw. as noted above, built like a tank and will run for ages with proper care and feeding.
Got one sitting here ( can ya believe my, widowed, Mom bought it in the mid 70's!!)
that I hate to admit how I haven't taken the time to redo all the lines and put it back in running.
If the coin jar wasn't near empty, I'd ask what cost for yours.

points ignition , so check for grimy contacts , wires chafed etc...
Mines got the Tillotson carb on it. IF you do a proper re-kit and fuel filter,
you can fill the tank and set the choke, throttle closed, not on the fast idle pin,
and about 3 very normal, not recoil busting, pulls gets the pop
Now set it partial choke and set the fast idle pin...
(I ab-so-lute-ly ****** loathe these one control lever, spring-back carb controls)
...give it another tug and she's live.
Yes that's a bone dry fuel system, first start, IF you did it right and all other stuff's in order.
She'll sit and idle till it runs outta fuel, but that wicked exhaust pop will deafen you.
So don't forget the hearing protection!

ETA: they have a fantastic flowing, fully adjustable (not that 3 notch crap)
oiler Doesn't stop at idle though and I see the adjuster knob is gone on this one. Take a good look at it's conditon, if you're going to run the saw any.
And the 14" hard nosed bars were a dang fine piece of steel, just gotta keep the oil flowing a bit deep.

Thank you for the tips and I will look into the oiler knob issue. I doubt there is much money to be made by buying/fixing/selling these old Echos, but for a guy looking for a nice solid saw for a reasonable price, you sure can't beat them. Lack of aftermarket parts sends you to the dealer or used parts guys to get parts you need.

This arrived last nite via UPS. CST610EVL twin cylinder. It has not been cleaned nor checked to see if it runs. Previous owner said it ran couple years ago. It does appear to be in very good condition. I have been looking for one of these for a couple years but unable to afford one. I will say a small prayer this aft to hope it does not have scored pistons. IMG_0872.JPG IMG_0873.JPG

My lord that is determination at its finest right there. That's the logging version of David and goliath I think.

I did a lot of stuff like that, it was a training exercise, I was told to find trees that were over twice the length of the bar in diameter and fall them. The same principles were used falling very large trees with large saws, just lots more work.

I guess it would be the equivalent of a ms880 with the 6' bar cutting down a 14ft diameter tree so that actually does make sense.

Latest posts

Back