Small Engines and Oil

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Probably not the correct forum for this but I'm not sure where...

I was driving through Omaha yesterday and stopped at the Harbor Freight store, picked up a new 5500 watt generator. It's primary purpose will be as back-up power for the water pump, furnace, light cooking, etc. when grid power goes down. My old 1500 watt generator just wasn't enough, had to run one thing at a time.

I've seen some references to using synthetic oils in small engines on this forum and I'm curious...
Do you start out a new engine with 100% synthetic?
Or, do you first run a petroleum based oil before going synthetic?
Or, should I be looking at a synthetic/petroleum blend?

I'm asking because, back in the day, there was some problems with synthetic oils and breaking in new engines, bearings not seating properly, or some such, as I remember it... recommendations were to run a petroleum oil for the first few miles/hours before switching to a synthetic. But like I said, that was back in the day, I've been out of the business for a few years now.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
It depends on the brand of engine that is on the generator, the manufactures website should tell you what they recommend, remember they control the warranty, not us.

Didn't it have a manual with it?

Of course it has a manual... it says use 30w oil above 32-degrees and 5w-30 below 32-degrees... nothing more. There isn't any manufacturers web site that I can find... if you google Chicago [brand] Generators all that comes up is retailer web sites. The 13 HP engine appears to be the same as those sold by Harbor Freight... blue in color.

Well, do us a favor, and when you find out post back.

I know for today's larger engines, it is no longer an issue to run synthetic from day 1.

This is a question for Bob is the Oil Guy. Go there, ask, and report back.

Bob Is The Oil Guy - Forums powered by UBB.threads™

Way more than you ever wanted to know about oil. I go there, search the engine of whatever vehicle, and see what these guys are running.

What is HDEO?

HDEO = Heavy Duty Motor Oil
...is 5500 W enough to run a well pump, furnace fan and fridges?
Sure it is... with power to spare. You have to remember there’s a difference between “start-up watts” and “running watts”. The generator is 5500 watts continuous / 6500 peak watts.

So if we do the math for running...
  • Fridge = 700
  • Freezer = 700
  • Well Pump = 1000
  • Furnace = 600
  • TOTAL = 3000 watts - we have 2500 watts to spare.
Now if we do the math for start-up...
  • Fridge = 2200
  • Freezer = 2200
  • Well Pump = 2100
  • Furnace = 1100
  • TOTAL = 7600 watts - we are 1000 watts over peak, but what are the chances all would be starting-up at the same time? What are the chances all four would be running at the same time? Even if three of them were running there’s plenty of power to start the fourth and still have a couple lights on.

During a 5-day power outage a couple years ago my dad ran his whole house (including the oven and washer/dryer) with a 6500/7000 generator... just don’t take a shower when mom is washing cloths and has the oven going.

When choosing an oil for small engines or any engine or that matter while viscosity, synthetic, regular oil, what is more important is whether the oil is designed for the engine. Oils contain additives designed for different types of engines. These are listed as API certs. For small engines the oils should meet API SL, SJ, SH, SG certs for gas engines.

What I run in all my small air cooled engines is the Walmart brand synthetic, it comes in 5-30 or 10-30, works well for me, and it's only 4 bucks per quart.
Snow blower gets 5-30, summer engines get 10-30.

If you dont know what the manufacturer recomends then I would probably run conventional for break in just to be on the safe side, then just switch to synthetic if thats what you want to use.

Whitespider; my GEN is operated by a 13 HP Honda engine. I've used it for about 12 years now. I use Vavoline Max Life 10w-30. Engine will generally start on 1st pull of the starter rope.

I've used Vavoline Max Life 10w-30 so long I don't recall breaking in the motor with anything else. It doesn't use oil and hasn't leaked any oil yet.
portablegenandaccessories1.jpg

The HDEO 15/40 oils are pretty stout. Major brands Rotella, Delvac, Chevron Delo to name a few.

I use the Rotella in everything on the farm. Trucks and 4 wheelers included. Yes, it's heavy, but I don't live in Minnesota either. And I always have plenty of 2.5 gal. jugs in the shop. :D No excuse to postpone a needed oil change...

Yeah, I've done a bit of research.
I'm goin' with conventional petroleum based oil, like I run in everything else out here. The guy that loaded it for me told me he would only use synthetic in it... But what does he know? I run 5w-30 in everything, year-round, even in my pickup. Why would I keep something else just for one small engine?

Latest posts

Back