Small Log Milling Techniques

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novaturbosaw

Reaction score
Heres a video my dad, jake, has posted explaining techniques to use when working with small logs.
One of the biggest challenges in working with small logs is their tendency to deform and shift during sawing.

"In this video, I demonstrate techniques that not only minimize these issues but also streamline the milling process. From stabilizing the logs to optimizing cuts, these methods will change your woodworking game.
The more you experiment, the more tricks you'll uncover to accelerate your operation. Let's dive in and elevate your woodworking experience!"

Hopefully this can help someone out there struggling with these issues!

Heres his video

Heres a video my dad, jake, has posted explaining techniques to use when working with small logs.
One of the biggest challenges in working with small logs is their tendency to deform and shift during sawing.

"In this video, I demonstrate techniques that not only minimize these issues but also streamline the milling process. From stabilizing the logs to optimizing cuts, these methods will change your woodworking game.
The more you experiment, the more tricks you'll uncover to accelerate your operation. Let's dive in and elevate your woodworking experience!"

Hopefully this can help someone out there struggling with these issues!

Heres his video
You came here to promote a video you've obviously picked the wrong place

Post 1 kind of promises discussing how things move around as pieces are cut off. I am half way through and not found any of that.

Even if you are kind of promoting something like turbo saw this sub forum could use some swing blade stuff. I think it is mostly chainsaw and a little band saw here for the folks that actually post.

Looks like about 1 3/4 hours of content on Dad's youtube place.

Post 1 kind of promises discussing how things move around as pieces are cut off. I am half way through and not found any of that.

Even if you are kind of promoting something like turbo saw this sub forum could use some swing blade stuff. I think it is mostly chainsaw and a little band saw here for the folks that actually post.

Looks like about 1 3/4 hours of content on Dad's youtube place.
We've only just set this YouTube page up for turbosawmill users, but all of our videos are relevant to swing blade users.
We aim to post new videos 1 to 2 times a week :)

Really trying hard to like the videos. Bit long and drawn out for me. I enjoy seeing a different style mill run, but wonder how much content you can get out of milling wood.

From what I have done with a band mill on many logs when a cut is made to the round or a cant or something between the big part left moves in a manner that is convex to the last cut. Take the method where the top of the round is skimmed off, then vertical cuts are made down to the board thickness depth. It is not a cant because the bottom shall we call it a slab is still attached but the log will bend each time one of those vertical cuts is made. Once one starts this milling it must become a line of thinking why there is rough sawn then planed and then particle board.

What I might point out in the video is there are pockets in those shipping containers about 4 1/2" high and maybe 14" wide that go all the way through presumably for giant forklifts. That is what the work platform is in these videos with a prop on the end sticking out.

What happened to the chainsaw powerhead on a swing blade set up. At one point I thought of getting the fuel injected Stihl and one of them but who made it and why was it discontinued? or is it still out there new?

Latest posts

Back