Small/Medium stove, long log capacity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dboyd351

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a wood stove to heat my 2300 sq ft house. I live in southern Virginia and have been strongly advised by a friend who used to sell wood stoves up north to buy something rated in the 50-60,000 BTU - 1600-1800 sq ft rating range so I can run it hot enough to minimize creosote formation. Since I don't live in a very cold area that makes some sense. BUT, I'm having a hard time finding one of those that meets my other desired criteria. I really need it to accept 20 inch logs and keep a bed of coals through the night. I already have 2-3 cords of split and seasoned wood to feed it, but lots of the stoves in this size seem to want 16-18 inch logs and I'm getting conflicting information if they will keep a bed of coals going all night. Plus, some of what I've cut and split is up to 20 inches long. Many of smaller stoves don't have a lot of reviews and I'm not very comfortable buying one that only has a half dozen reviews from people who just bought it.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ideal Steel Hybrid from Woodstock. I just ordered one. They take 22 inch wood. It also has a catalytic combustor in it so that you can cut the air more than a non catalytic stove and get a longer lower burn cycle which is great for the not so cold days.

Google it and Google the reviews. Might be what you are looking for.

Jotul F118

Been running one for, ah, let's just say a really long time. Takes a 25 inch log and heats 1800 sq. ft. (unfinished basement and living space in a small ranch. Mine is a really old, pre- UL design, and I go through 3-1/2 to 4 cord per season. Productive heat for 5-6 hours in normal operation, enough coals to fire back up after 12. At that point the stove is still quite warm to the touch.

The newer F118 design is claimed to be at least 20 to 30 percent more efficient than my old timer. Been tempted to get a new one, but other than a door gasket every 4 or 5 years this stove needs nothing.

Take Care

Thanks for the replies. Haven't heard of the Ideal Steel hybrid - I'll check that out. I know that Jotul gets good reviews. I thought it might throw a little more heat than I need, but I'll look into it further. Which Blaze King? I looked at the Ashford 30, but it looked like it might put out too much heat. The Ashford 20 didn't take a big enough log, as I recall.
I had wanted to get the Drolet HT2000, based on online reviews, but my "wood stove advisor' who used to sell stoves thinks it will put out too much heat for this climate.

Thanks for the replies. Haven't heard of the Ideal Steel hybrid - I'll check that out. I know that Jotul gets good reviews. I thought it might throw a little more heat than I need, but I'll look into it further. Which Blaze King? I looked at the Ashford 30, but it looked like it might put out too much heat. The Ashford 20 didn't take a big enough log, as I recall.
I had wanted to get the Drolet HT2000, based on online reviews, but my "wood stove advisor' who used to sell stoves thinks it will put out too much heat for this climate.
Blaze kings you could throttle way down with no harm.

Personally I chose the princess for the deep firebox. Ash ford 30 would work too if you like the looks better

Research how the wood burns in the stove. Front to back?

If so, then you will be raking coals/unburnt wood to the front, then trying to put long wood on top of it.

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, but my insert is longer than wide. First year I put the wood in with the long end going front to back. That turned out to be a PITA because the front part would burn, but the back part wouldn't. So, I'd be constantly raking charcoal to the front to level it out enough to put more wood on top.

Next year I cut the wood a bit shorter so I could fit it in sideways. I found out that it's much easier that way, and I can keep the firebox fuller that way.

I'd rather have a wood stove that I have to crack open a window or throttle it back a bit, then have to worry that it's not producing enough heat when the winter is at it's coldest point, so I went with a larger stove than the house is rated for.

Personally I chose the princess for the deep firebox. Ash ford 30 would work too if you like the looks better

Yes, the Princess has a lot going for it. The deep firebox is nice, it takes 20" wood and you can damp it down to run up to 30 hours, plus you get a real good view of the fire. They are even supposed to have a dealer near me. It's looking like a front runner at the moment. Thanks for the recommendation!

Esshup,
I've never had an insert, just a wood stove, so maybe there is a difference, but it sounds like yours isn't burning correctly. Maybe there is a way to adjust the draft or damper to alter the air flow. There was never a problem with the wood burning completely in the wood stove I had and you didn't have to move the coals around, just add more wood to what was there.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Yes, the Princess has a lot going for it. The deep firebox is nice, it takes 20" wood and you can damp it down to run up to 30 hours, plus you get a real good view of the fire. They are even supposed to have a dealer near me. It's looking like a front runner at the moment. Thanks for the recommendation!
Just be prepared when you see the price tag! Ouch! I think of it as a long long term investment to help ease the pain

Back