small saw .325 chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Klayton

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
wondering what the smallest saw out there that can pull a full kurf .325 chain effectively. by small i mean light weight not cc. I was thinking the 420 dolmar but was wondering what you guys think?

Effectively seems to me to be the key word here. A Dolmar 420 is 42 cc and 10.56 lb. The Husky is more powerful and lighter, so it and the STIHL 026 would pull that chain more effectively.
My MS260 is lightly ported and with an 18" bar it flat screams through Maple and Alder

effectively is right and i dont want to run narrow kerf, is the husky as reliable as the dolmar?
or i guess the question is which one is "more professional grade"

have gotten rid of all my bastard .325 chain .. it's 3/8 pico for 200T/pruners and .404 for monster bars. 3/8 for everything else

If STIHL is ruled out, I would bet on Dolmar, but that small cc would definitely need a pro porting job or 3/8 picco. STIHL .325" teeth are not small.

sthil is super expensive and i have a husky 372 and an old dolmar 111 and they are so easy to work on. my brothers 025 was the biggest pain to get apart

I have a 345 and 445 husky that pull 325 on 16" bars and have done so all their life. So I guess 2.8hp is my bottom limit for 325 chain.
I'm sure a dolmar 420 would be fine but I would step back to a smaller bar and be careful with my depth gauges.

My experiences include dry Aussie hard wood so you may have more wiggle room than me.

Ok - quick spec check and the dolmar puts out more power than my two little huskies.
I honestly can't knock the reliability of the 345 I have, and others have had with the 350 and 353. The dolmar is a more "pro" construction, but I wouldn't let that sway my decision. Just pick what you like. (Hint - not a 445 husky)

I love my little Dolmar
tety4aba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oregon recommends full kerf .325 chain for saws 38cc to 62cc, if that helps. STIHL MS250 is the smallest saw that I have run it on (45cc, 10.1 pounds). They tend to put 3/8 low profile on smaller saws.

Philbert

Ok - quick spec check and the dolmar puts out more power than my two little huskies.
I honestly can't knock the reliability of the 345 I have, and others have had with the 350 and 353. The dolmar is a more "pro" construction, but I wouldn't let that sway my decision. Just pick what you like. (Hint - not a 445 husky)

Not more than the 353, actually slightly less in some ways. ;)

Oregon recommends full kerf .325 chain for saws 38cc to 62cc, if that helps. STIHL MS250 is the smallest saw that I have run it on (45cc, 10.1 pounds). They tend to put 3/8 low profile on smaller saws.

Philbert

Regular .325 is borderline on the MS250 imo, it likely would do better with .325 NK or 3/8 Picco/lo-pro.

.325 NK likely is included in the Oregon recommendation, and it works very well on the 339xp (39cc).

Not more than the 353, actually slightly less in some ways. ;)
I'd still stand by what I said - pick what you like, not from the spec sheet. The differences are small enough that price and dealer are more relevant.
Until you look at 346/550/stihl 241 there isn't enough between these saws (stock) to get excited about.

Back