Small setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Anybody out there use a small chipper on a trailer? I am thinking of a setup where I can blow the chips into the bed of my truck with a plywood box on it. I would remove the chipper from its axles ( 12" disc ) and put it at the front of a 12' to 16' long trailer. This would allow me to put the logs on the trailer, blow the chips into the truck, and make it all in one trip. My truck is an Diesel F-350 single axle crew w/long bed. I cut firewood but also have been doing some chainsaw milling on some of the larger logs ( White Oak, Red, etc). Any pics of your setup would be great.

It Doesn't sound like a bad idea. I would think that might be a lot of tounge weight. I know my chipper weighs around 6k pounds and it's a 12inch. maybe a 6inch chipper would work.

Scott

Thanks fellas! A 6 inch chipper sounds like a better choice for my needs and idea. I will cut up anything 3" or larger in dia. for firewood so the chipper will really be working on the small stuff. I like the idea of getting a used diesel for this project and a two maybe three axle trailer to help offset the tongue weight.

I have seen this done, but only with a very small homeowner type of chipper for like 4" and under. I think that is the only way you could have a reasonable tongue weight.

A gooseneck trailer would be your best option, they can take tongue weight better. but you are still going to have alot of tongue weight, probably to much actually.

If you are good at building things you might be able to put it on a slide. You could let it ride in the middle then slide it forward when you get to the job. Have you thought about putting a flatbed on you truck. I have a 8x9 flatbed on my truck. I built a metal box 5ft tall for it. It takes a decent size chipping job to fill the box with just chips. On most jobs I have room for the wood with the chips. If I have enough chips to come close to filling that box then there is going to me at least a full dump trailer load of wood. You would have to make 2 trips anyway on jobs that big.

Scott

Good idea in theory. However a couple of obstacles to overcome that you may not have forseen.

Tongue weight on a bumper pull trailer will be high, very high. Gooseneck would work but then you loose the truck for chip space. Turntable idea is a good one. Chipping from the side on the curb is huge benifit. Personally a turn table design near the back would be best.

I believe a vermeer 12" 1250 weighs about 5000-5500 lbs. Knock off 500 lbs for axle and tires and your still 4500-5000. thats a LOT of weight in the front end of a trailer not to be off balanced by weight in the back. I know you wont always have a full load of logs on the back.

Another thing I would recommend is to try out a 6" chipper before you buy it. I found it was faster and cheaper to haul tree branches and pay to dispose of them than paying someone $15 bucks an hour to chip. A 9" chipper isnt much bigger but it is a much better machine. Wide crotches in tree branches will jam a 6" in a hurry. Just my prefference but there is a good deal of truth here too.

Test a couple different sizes before determining what machine to use. There is a chipper that has a 6"x9" opening which looked good though considering the small opening. Dont recall the name off hand.

Last edited:
According to Vermeer sight...the BC 1000 xl...weighs approx. 4600lbs. so take axle off, what around 4000lb. Still i agree alot of weight.

The bandit 6 inch with a 37 hp Wisconsin can chip...dont get the Kohler...just doesnt have the power.

I know Vermeer doesnt have one, but Bandit has a 9 inch chipper...not sure about other companies.

I like your idea.

Canyon

They make set ups like that in Aus and I have seen at least one locally made tipping tandem trailer with a 6 inch trailer mounted to it. The one I have seen lately used one of those big red chinese PTO chippers powered by a 25hp petrol engine.

:clap: Canyonbc, no, sorry but that is not what I am thinking of. Now what would happen if I put the chipper on the a@% end of the trailer and loaded the logs forward? If they are long pieces I will be rolling them up ramps which would double as trailer walls on either side. The idea would be to set up the trailer at the site,position my truck to blow chips into it from the chipper( swivel nozzle ) , load the logs (3" and up becomes firewood), hitch back up, and go. Minimizing weight on the chipper assembly will be the biggest thing so I will stick with 6" Disc Chipper as the most ideal for my needs, just need to find the one that is the lightest and most suitable for removal from its axle assembly. Lot of great ideas from everyone and valuable info too, THANKS!

toung weight hmm

i have the same truck but i put a duel wheel conversion kit and added helper springs.

dump chipper combo

I have an old Promark chipper dump trailer. I think it's a moel 310. The idea is great if your only doing small jobs, but for large jobs it's a little impractical. It only chips 6 inch diameter. The great thing about it is that you don't have to insure it like a truck. The shoot spins around so when the trailer is full you you can chip into a dump truck. It has a 3 cylinder Lombardini diesel. It's kind of heavy, so a one ton or greater pulls it fine. I thought about using it for hauling a stump grinder, but I may just sell it.

Back