Small slab project

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm too pissed to do it aging now. Sorry- I'll do it again later.

Boy, when aggie gets mad it lasts awhile :D

Been there done that myself. Since my typing is sooooo slow (and requires many spell check's), I usually key it in word, log in and paste it in the message box.

Still looking forward to reading about the process, when things cool down :laugh:

Last edited:
Nice job on the slab!

And just a tip for people that don't know. If I'm going to make a long
post, I use MS Word then copy and paste to here, if it's a shorter
post, copy your post here before you hit "Submit Reply" button.
Then if it don't work you can come back and hit paste.
I'm sorry that I can't explain it better than this:buttkick:

Thanks. I usually do this too but the one time I didn't it bit me in the butt.:bang:

I'm better now.:hmm3grin2orange:

OK here goes...

Let me start by with a warning. Lye is caustic and can cause sever chemical burns! Use your PPE (face shield, rubber gloves, long sleves, etc.) and proceed at you own risk!:)

With that out of the way...

You will need

-Household lye crystals- you usually can find it in the cleaning section of a grocery store
-2- 1qt. min. containers with water tight lids
(I use clean 1 liter plastic soda bottles)
-1 tbs measuring spoon, 1 qt measuring cup
-funnel
-paper towels-
-white vinegar
-stirring rod
-cloth rags

Preparation

-fill one container with 1qt warm water
-carefully add 1tbs lye to water, gently stir for 1 min.
-seal container and let cool to room temp.
-If any undissolved crystals remain after the solution has cooled, filter them out using the funnel and paper towel.

-in a separate container, prepare a solution of 3 parts water to 1 part white vinegar (approx. 1qt total)

Application

-sand wood to 220 grit
-Using a cloth rag, wipe the lye solution onto the surface of the wood until it is evenly wet but not saturated. (you will see a color change almost immediately). Wipe off any excess with a dry rag.
-Let sit for approx. 10-15 minutes or until desired color is achieved
-Neutralize lye with vinegar solution by wiping the surface in the same manner as described above
-Remove vinegar by wiping with clean water until smell is mostly gone
-let wood dry completely before applying any top coat

I recommend that you test this on a piece of scrap, preferably from the same stock, to see if it gives you the results you want. If a darker color is desired, a solution of 2tbs lye per quart may achieve this. I've used this method successfully on the following.

Pecan/ Hickory- Warm brown
SYP- antique/ aged look (yellowish)- used as a pre-treatment to stain
White oak- very dark brown

Different woods react differently based on their chemical content and some hardly react at all. This method can be dangerous if the proper care isn't given, but I prefer to use it in some cases as it doesn't hide or obscure the grain as some stains will. Also, the color change penetrates deep into the wood fibers so scratches don't show as bad and are easier to repair.

Be sure to properly dispose of excess chemical, container, rags, etc.

I don't believe I missed major steps but I wrote this from memory. I'm building another buffet for my MIL similar to this one and if something comes up I'll be sure to add it.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have a nice birch crotch I would like to do the best thing for. You look like you did the best thing for that pecan. Do think this would apply to yellow birch and what does the lye do?

Different woods react differently based on their chemical content and some hardly react at all. This method can be dangerous if the proper care isn't given, but I prefer to use it in some cases as it doesn't hide or obscure the grain as some stains will. Also, the color change penetrates deep into the wood fibers so scratches don't show as bad and are easier to repair.

Hey aggie thanks for this... I like aniline dye for the same reasons, it soaks into the wood and its not just a surface topping like many stains out there. I am going to have to try this. I especially want to see how dark oak gets, as I think in some apps dark oak really shows off the piece much better. Picture frames come to mind.

I printed out your recipe... THANKS

I have a nice birch crotch I would like to do the best thing for. You look like you did the best thing for that pecan. Do think this would apply to yellow birch and what does the lye do?

Sorry- can't help you on that one. I don't have any yellow birch either otherwise I'd give it a shot for you.

Latest posts

Back